- The University of Alabama Libraries
The University Libraries is committed to providing an inclusive and accessible experience to all library users. This page provides information that may be of particular interest to users with disabilities. Should you need additional information about or assistance with library access and services, please ask at the nearest service desk or contact the library.
ParkingAccessible parking spaces are designated on the campus parking and accessibility map. Click on the interactive map for accessible parking spaces, entrances, and locations of the library buildings.
Accessible Parking Permit InformationAccessible parking permits for visitors, faculty, staff, and students may be purchased at the Parking Services Office located in the Campus Drive Parking Deck, 451 Campus Drive East. For additional information, visit The University of Alabama Parking Services website.
EntrancesCurb cuts and accessible entrances are designated on the accessibility map. These library entrances have push-button door openers:
- Bruno Library: Stadium Drive entrance (ramp access) and quadrangle-side entrance (ground level)
- Gorgas Library: Capstone Drive entrance (ground level)
- Hoole Library: Hackberry Lane entrance (ground level)
- Rodgers Library: Entrance across from Fresh Food Company and SERC (ramp access)
ElevatorsAll library floors are accessible by elevator with the following exceptions:
RestroomsRestrooms in the libraries are wheelchair accessible with the following exceptions:
- Gorgas Library has two fully accessible restrooms: one on the 1st floor (near the Information Desk) and one on the 5th floor (staff floor, not accessible after 4:45 pm). The restroom on the second floor is accessible to most wheelchairs.
TelephonesAll libraries have wheelchair accessible courtesy telephones. If you need help locating a telephone, please ask at the nearest service desk.
Rescue AssistanceIn the event of an emergency, if you are unable to evacuate or need assistance evacuating, contact the University of Alabama Police Department (UAPD) at (205) 348-5454 and provide your location within the building. Attempt to get to an Area of Rescue Assistance and use the call button to notify UAPD of your location.
- Bruno Library: Areas of Rescue Assistance are the located in the north and south stairwells, first and second floors.
- Gorgas Library: Areas of Rescue Assistance are the located in the northwest and northeast interior stairwells, southeast and southwest stairwells.
Library Materials and ServicesUpon request, library staff can assist library users with disabilities with:
- Using research tools such as Scout, the classic catalog, databases, e-book and e-journal collections, and more
- Locating and retrieving library materials
- Looking for digital versions of library materials
- Making copies or scanning documents on public photocopiers and scanners as time permits (when possible, please contact the library in advance for this service)
- Arranging extended loan periods for course reserve materials
- Using accessibility and other software available in the Libraries