About the Libraries
Bruno Business Library Angelo Bruno Business Library
Bruno Business Library was built in 1994 on the old site of the Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity (which was literally picked up and moved in order to make way for the new library). The building was named in honor of Angelo Bruno (1924- 1991), who was Chairman of the Board of Bruno’s, Inc. and donated 4 million dollars toward the construction of a business library.
Gorgas Library Amelia Gayle Gorgas Library
Amelia Gayle Gorgas Library was built in 1939 and is located on the site of the first library on campus. The first university library, known as the Rotunda, was destroyed during the Civil War and its ruins can be found underneath the semi-circular plaza in front of the building. The current building, constructed in 1939, is named for the University’s postmistress and librarian Amelia Gayle Gorgas (1826-1913) who was the wife of Confederate General Josiah Gorgas (1818-1883), the University’s 8th president and librarian.
Hoole Special Collections Library W.S Hoole Special Collections Library
The University of Alabama Libraries Special Collections is committed to acquiring, processing, preserving, and making available primary sources and other rare materials that support the teaching and research missions of The University of Alabama. In addition to documenting the historical and cultural experience of the state and people of Alabama and The University of Alabama, our collections focus on Southern history and culture; exploration and settlement of territory in the Gulf of Mexico; Civil War and Reconstruction; slavery, abolition, and emancipation; and African American history with special emphasis on the Civil Rights Movement.
Rodgers Library for Science and Engineering Eric and Sara Rodgers Library for Science and Engineering
The Eric and Sarah Rodgers Library for Science and Engineering opened to the public on June 5, 1990. The library represents a merger of the Science Library collection from Lloyd Hall and the Engineering Library collection from the Mineral Industries Building. Rodgers Library was named in honor of Eric Rodgers and Sarah Rodgers, former members of the UA faculty.