University Libraries relies upon faculty, professional, classified staff, and student workers to fulfill its mission. See below for employment opportunities.
THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA LIBRARIES Research and Instruction LibrarianResponsibilities
The University of Alabama seeks a forward-thinking librarian with innovative ideas for learning-centered approaches to research and instructional services. Reporting to the Head of Gorgas Information Services, this position will serve as a proactive liaison to several humanities departments in the College of Arts & Sciences. Liaison assignments include instruction and outreach and will be determined based on candidate’s background. The Research & Instruction Librarian will actively participate in teaching and learning in GIS, including participation in the Freshman Writing Program. This position also participates in outreach to non-academic units to develop events and services that promote the Libraries.Required qualifications:
- Master’s degree in Library & Information Sciences from an ALA-accredited institution.
- Two years’ experience working in an academic library.
- Experience providing reference and/or instruction services in an academic or research library environment.
- Experience in collection development in an academic or research library.
- Knowledge of trends and services in academic libraries to support undergraduate and graduate education.
- Knowledge of current and emerging trends in information literacy instruction and information technologies.
- Awareness of new and emerging technologies and how they can be utilized in an academic library.
- Ability to successfully initiate, track, and manage projects.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and customer service skills and the ability to interact effectively with faculty, students and staff.
- Advanced degree in a humanities field.
- Record of scholarship and professional involvement.
- Experience developing innovative services to enhance research and/or teaching.
- Experience developing LibGuides, tutorials, and learning objects. Functional knowledge of WordPress, CSS, HTML, and the Adobe Creative Suite a plus.
- Advanced technological skillsets that contribute to the teaching, learning, and research environment.
The University of Alabama is located in Tuscaloosa, a community of 100,000 Residents and is located 45 minutes southwest of Birmingham. The campus is noted for its historical architecture, long-standing traditions, and Natural History Museum. Current enrollment exceeds 37,000. The community and surrounding areas offer a broad range of cultural and recreational activities. The University Libraries maintains memberships in the Association of Research Libraries, the Center for Research Libraries, the Coalition for Networked Information, the Digital Library Federation, centerNet, LYRASIS, the Association of Southeastern Research Libraries, the Network of Alabama Academic Libraries, and the Alabama Digital Preservation Network. As a U.S. Government Documents Regional Depository, the UA Libraries serves Alabama libraries and the public. The Libraries’ homepage may be accessed at http://www.lib.ua.edu.Salary/Benefits:
Full-time position for Tenure track librarian. Rank at assistant or associate professor, dependent upon qualifications. Competitive salary. Excellent benefits. Moving allowance may be available.To Apply:
Please apply online at https://facultyjobs.ua.edu. A letter of application, resume, and names, address, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses of three references should be included.
Position open until filled. Applications received by February 29, 2016 will receive full consideration.
THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER_______________________________________________________________________________________________________