University Libraries relies upon faculty, professional, classified staff, and student workers to fulfill its mission. See below for employment opportunities.
A complete listing of faculty positions is available online at facultyjobs.ua.edu. Currently we have the following positions posted.
THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA LIBRARIES | Special Collections and Digital Initiatives LibrarianThe University of Alabama Libraries seeks a creative, forward-thinking professional to serve as Special Collections and Digital Initiatives Librarian within the W.S. Hoole Special Collections Library and the A.S. Williams III Americana Collection. Through its Strategic Plan, the University of Alabama Libraries is committed to providing leadership in the area of digital scholarship. Reporting to the Associate Dean for Special Collections, the Special Collections and Digital Initiatives Librarian will oversee day-to-day digitization activities, create innovative online exhibits, provide virtual and onsite outreach and instruction, and collaborate with other stakeholders in the preservation of digital assets to make the unique resources in University Libraries Special Collections more accessible to the global community of researchers. The successful candidate will be competent and comfortable communicating the importance and uses of the library’s digital platforms and applications to a wide variety of partners, collaborators, and users. This position requires a librarian with a broad understanding of digital scholarship, an excellent attention to detail, and an aptitude to learn new skills and technologies, but who need not be proficient in programming or systems. We are seeking an information professional who has the oral and written communication skills to articulate the importance of the library’s digital assets to the university community and to communities outside the university.
- Oversees operations in Digital Services, including supervision of staff and students working on digitization projects
- Oversees staff, students, and collections in the Williams Collection
- Designs and implements innovative online exhibits of resources in the Hoole Special Collections Library and the Williams Collection
- Collaborates with University Libraries to employ data visualization tools to assess Special Collections holdings and use statistics for library administration and the general public
- Collaborates with the Associate Dean for Special Collections to determine the intellectual property rights of resources selected for online display
- Keeps apprised of current trends in academic research and the digital humanities
- Serves as a liaison between Special Collections and the Alabama Digital Humanities Center
- Other duties as assigned
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Science (MLIS) from an ALA-accredited institution
- Demonstrated knowledge of enterprise technology, including digital assets management systems, production software for image editing, and other advanced hardware and software for digitization
- Demonstrated knowledge of digital preservation best practices
- Demonstrated knowledge of digital humanities tools and standards, such as TEI, text mining, and data visualization
- Demonstrated knowledge of archival arrangement and description, including finding aid creation, provenance, and MPLP
- Previous experience curating online exhibitions
- Demonstrated ability to meet goals and deadlines; excellent time management skills
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as a member of a team
- Additional graduate or doctoral degree
- MLIS with a concentration in archives management
- Minimum of two years professional experience as a librarian or archivist with responsibilities for managing digital assets
- Demonstrated knowledge of U.S. history, particularly Southern history
- Demonstrated publishing activity, including a history of presentations and projects appropriate to a tenure-track position
- Demonstrated knowledge of metadata description standards such as Dublin Core, RDA, MODS
SALARY/BENEFITS: 12 month tenure-track faculty appointment at the assistant or associate professor rank, depending on qualifications. Salary is $52,000-$59,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience. Strong benefits including professional development support and tuition fee waiver.
TO APPLY: Applications are accepted online only at https://facultyjobs.ua.edu . Click Search Positions then University Libraries in Organization drop down box. Please include your application, Curriculum Vitae, and names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses of three references, including one current supervisor.
Position open until filled. Applications received by May 1, 2018 are assured of receiving full consideration.
The University of Alabama is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is strongly committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. Applicants from a broad spectrum of people, including women, members of ethnic minorities, and disabled persons, are especially encouraged to apply.
For questions regarding the search, contact Dr. Millie Jackson, Senior Associate Dean, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER.