Code of Conduct
The University Libraries serve the University community by providing an atmosphere conducive to research and study. In order to accomplish this, all University of Alabama students, faculty, staff and community users are expected to abide by the rules established by the University. An extension of these ideals is reflected in this Code of Conduct.
Individuals or groups who engage in an unacceptable and/or disruptive behavior may be asked to leave the building. If necessary, campus police will be contacted.
The library staff is concerned about the safety of our patrons. Please contact a staff member if you need any assistance.
For emergencies call: University of Alabama Police Department at 348-5454 or 911
Examples of unacceptable behavior and/or disruptive behavior include, but are not limited to:
- Creating a disturbance or behaving in a manner which interferes with normal use of the library (including rowdiness, noise, and offensive interpersonal behavior).
- Leaving children under the age of 15 unattended in the library building; children 14 years old and younger must be accompanied and supervised in the library by a person at least 18 years old.
- Refusing to leave the building in a timely fashion at closing or remaining in a library building when requested to leave during emergency situations or drills.
- Being in an unauthorized area of a library building or being in a library building during hours it is not open to the public.
- Disruptive use of cell phones or other electronic devices in a library building.
- Verbal abuse; verbal assault or threat to do bodily harm; engaging in any form of mental or physical harassment.
- Fighting or otherwise acting in a disorderly manner.
- Acting as if under the influence of alcohol or drugs or engaging in any type of substance abuse.
- Damaging, defacing, stealing or misusing library materials, equipment, and property.
- Violating University and Library rules regarding computer use.
- Stalking library staff and patrons.
- Violating rules concerning food, beverages, and tobacco products.
- Posting notices or leaving unsolicited materials anywhere other than designated bulletin boards.
- Failure to follow library circulation policies and procedures.
- Concealing library materials in the library for the exclusive use of an individual or group.
- Possessing a weapon or hazardous substance.
- Tampering with emergency mechanisms (fire alarms, alarms in elevators, opening emergency exits except in emergency situations).
- Engaging in sexual activity.
- Use of skateboards, inline skates or similar devices inside a library building.
- Bringing animals in the library unless they are certified assistance animals.
- Bringing bicycles into library buildings.
- Violating Code of Student Conduct, http://policies.ua.edu/conduct.html.
Revised August 2007