Interlibrary Loan (ILL) provides free access to materials needed for coursework and scholarly research not available in the UA Libraries. Go directly to ILL here
ILL Borrowing Services
Please check the UA Libraries catalog before placing your Interlibrary Loan (ILL) request.
Requests will not be processed for:
- Materials in the UA Libraries catalog
- Materials to be placed on Reserve
If an item is missing or unavailable, please state this in the note field of the ILL request form. If you need assistance searching the catalog, please come to any service desk.
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) service is free, except for rush and expedited delivery.
- Rush requests are processed at the discretion of the ILL Supervisor.
- If special circumstances exist where charges may be incurred, you will be contacted to confirm you are willing to pay any special costs before placing your order.
Delivery time depends upon the availability of the item.
- When requested material is received, the borrower will be notified via UA e-mail.
- Requested material is the responsibility of the borrower.
- Materials must be picked up and returned at the Gorgas Library Circulation Desk and signed in upon return.
Articles requested through Interlibrary Loan (ILL) will be delivered electronically.
- Patrons will receive an e-mail to their official UA account that notifies them that the article is available.
- The e-mail will contain a link to the ILL home page. The patron will need to log in to their account, scroll down to the “Review Requests” area, and choose “View/Download Electronically Received Articles.”
The lending institution determines the loan period, which ranges from 1-4 weeks.
- It is important to return items on time.
- Failure to return ILL materials on time may result in suspension of all circulation privileges.
- Service to all University of Alabama borrowers may suffer if the Interlibrary Loan Office is habitually late in returning borrowed materials to lending libraries.
ILL materials are subject to recalls by the lending library at any time.
Renewals are not automatic and, like the loan period, are at the discretion of the lending institution. If an extended loan period is needed, the borrower must contact the ILL Department one week before the due date to request a renewal.
UA patrons who do not return ILL material within the timeframe allotted by the lending institution are automatically blocked by the ILL system until the material is returned or the fine is paid.
If the lending institution issues an invoice the borrowing patron is responsible for all charges. Fees from other institutions are non-refundable. Removal of the ILL label, band or slips from any ILL materials may result in a fine.
Abuse of the ILL system may result in the suspension of ILL privileges for up to a full academic year. Borrowers may also be blocked from using other UA Library services. Penalties are dependent upon the severity of the infraction and whether restitution is made for any lost material.
UA Libraries ILL Lending Policies
UA Libraries lends materials and provides electronic and photo copies from the collections to individuals who request them through other institution. Other institutions may submit their requests via OCLC or the web (contact ILL staff for information.)
Most materials in the UA Libraries collections may be loaned. Reference and microfilm materials may be loaned at the discretion of the UA Libraries. UA Libraries does not lend audio/visual materials, special collection items, or periodicals less than 10 years old.
Materials may be loaned for four weeks and are subject to recall at any time. Renewals are at the discretion of UA Libraries. Some materials may be restricted to “In-Library Use Only.” To protect special materials from possible damage or loss, special packaging and commercial shipment services may be required.
Borrowing libraries (except those participating in reciprocal and consortial agreements, government libraries, and public libraries) will be charged a flat fee of $15.00 for interlibrary loan services. International borrowing libraries will be charged a flat fee of $25.00 for interlibrary loan services. Invoices are mailed after the requested material has been received. Material that has been damaged lost, or reported missing will be billed at the discretion of the ILL Supervisor.
|Location||Gorgas Library, Floor 2|
|Hours||ILL material can be picked up all hours that the Gorgas Library is open.
Members of ILL staff are available Monday through Friday from 8 am – 5 pm.
University of Alabama Libraries
Contact an individual
Universal Borrowing/ILL Information Desk
Lending to Other Libraries/Distance Ed