TAYLOR, LILY ROSS, 1886-1969.

Biography;

Professor of classics; college administrator. Born– Aug. 12, 1886 in Auburn, Ala. Parents– William Dana and Mary Forte (Ross) Taylor. Education– University of Wisconsin, A.B., 1906; studied at American Academy of Rome; Bryn Mawr, Ph.D., 1912 (Bryn Mawr had one of the first independent departments of archaelogy and was one of the first colleges to award graduate degrees to women in the field). Taught at Bryn Mawr 1908-1909, 1910-1912; at Vassar College, 1912-27; at Bryn Mawr as professor of classics and Dean of the Graduate School, 1927-52. Served with the American Red Cross in Italy 1918-1919 and with OSS in Washington during World War II. Received several honorary doctorates; member American Philological Association (president, 1942), Archaeology Institute of America, American Association of University Women, American Numismatic Society, American Association of University Professors, American Historical Association, Society for Promotion of Roman Studies, and Phi Beta Kappa. First woman to be named a Fellow of the American Academy in Rome.  Received the AAUW Achievement Award, 1952, the Award of Merit of the American Philological Association, 1962, and the Gold Medal Cultori di Roma, awarded by the City of Rome, in 1962.  Named professor emerita by Bryn Mawr on her retirement in 1952.  Died November 18, 1969.

Source:

Marquis Who’s Who Online.

Publication(s):

The Cults of Ostia. Bryn Mawr, Pa.; Bryn Mawr College, 1962.

The Divinity of the Roman Emperor. Middletown, Conn.; American Philological Association, 1931.

Local Cults in Etruria. Rome; American Academy in Rome, 1923.

Party Politics in the Age of Caesar. Berkeley, Calif.; University of California Press, 1949.

Roman Voting Assemblies from the Hannibalic War to the Dictatorship of Caesar.  Ann Arbor:  University of Michigan Press, 1966.

The Voting Districts of the Roman Republic; The Thirty-five Urban and Rural Tribes.  Rome:  American Academy, 1960.

Papers;

The papers of Lily Ross Taylor are held by the B. Canaday Special Collections Library at Bryn Mawr College.