Universal Borrowing (ALLIES)
Universal borrowing is a cooperative service offered by several academic libraries in the state, known as the “Alabama Libraries Exchange” or ALLIES. Items that are not currently available in the UA Libraries often may be obtained from other institutions.
You can check availability and request an item in the UA Libraries Catalog. You may also borrow materials in person at other ALLIES libraries using your UA Action Card.
- In Basic or Advanced Search, click on Search Other Libraries in the upper left-hand corner.
- Select the libraries you want to search and click submit. You will be returned to the search page.
- Search by author, title, etc.
- Choose the result from the library you want.
- Click on Holds, Recalls, Requests in the upper right-hand corner of the record.
- Log in with your CWID and last name.
- Choose “Request this item.”
- Select the UA library where you would like to pick up the book, the date after which you do not need the book.
- Re-enter your CWID and click “Submit.”
- You will be notified by email when your book is available.