McLure Library is one of the University’s most historic buildings. Built in 1925, for years the building housed the student cafeteria, post office, and supply store. During that time, it housed a soda fountain, a favorite campus gathering place then. After World War II the third floor was used for several years as a dorm for male students. The building was remodeled in 1954 for the Education Library. In 1975 it was named in honor of John Rankin McLure, Dean of the College of Education, 1942-1959.