As a general policy, The University Libraries do not purchase textbooks that are used for instructional purposes at The University of Alabama. Exceptions are made for certain disciplines and in certain cases. It is impossible for the University Libraries to meet student demand for all textbooks at The University of Alabama given our limited financial resources for library materials, staffing costs, and the high rate (often yearly) of textbook revisions.
- A faculty member may donate a textbook with the request to place it on reserve.
- Subject librarians may purchase a textbook that they determine significantly supports teaching/research interests at The University of Alabama.
- Gifts of textbooks will be evaluated on a case by case basis to determine the long term value for the Library's collection.
- Includes study questions, problems, discussion topics at the end of individual chapters.
- May be published in subsequent editions.
- Designed to be used by students for courses of study – introductory, intermediate, advanced.