From SURA Research Data Management
Revision as of 11:54, 16 January 2013 by SURA Admin (talk | contribs) (Created page with "'''Notes from SURA Research Data Management (RDM) conference call of 9/24/12''' ''These calls are now scheduled for every other Monday at 4:00pm Eastern (3pm Central). The ne...")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Notes from SURA Research Data Management (RDM) conference call of 9/24/12

These calls are now scheduled for every other Monday at 4:00pm Eastern (3pm Central). The next SURA RDM group call is scheduled for Monday, Oct. 8. We will continue to use the same conference bridge: 800-377-8846 Pin: 14421498. Materials associated with the work of this group are available on the RDM WiKi: http://www.lib.ua.edu/wiki/sura/

Attendees: Jordon Andrade (FSU), Keith Campbell (GSU), Jody Combs (Vanderbilt), Gary Crane (SURA), Erik Deumens (UFL), Sara Graves (UAH), Marc Hoit (NCSU), Wendy Mann (GMU), Rick McMullen (UARK), Sean Moore (Tulane), Steven Morris (NCSU), Richard Newman (FIT), Don Riley (UMD), Lizzy Rolando (GaTech), Aaron Trehub (Auburn), Tom Wilson (UA), Bryan Sinclair (GSU), Aaron Trehub (Auburn), Tom Wilson (UA)

Action Items:

  • Gary to work with Sara Graves to develop speakers list for Nov. 1 SURA meeting.
  • Sean Moore, Rick McMullen and Diane Bruxvoort to lead white paper development discussions on Oct. 8 RDM call.
  • Everyone should review the ASERL policy document (attached) and send comments to John Burger (jburger@aserl.org).
  • Gary to follow up with John Burger regarding corss referencing of ASER: policy doc with SBSG.

Discussion Items:

Status of SBSG and public release: Is the SBSG ready for a broader release? Aaron Trehub said he was comfortable with the current version of the SBSG and that he would support a broader release to gather further comments and suggestions from a larger community. It was agreed that we would target the November 1 as an official release date for version 1 of the SBSG. We will discuss the form and distribution of an announcement on future calls but the group felt that distribution through ASERL’s and SURA’s membership would be a good start.

Nov. 1 SURA IT Committee meeting: The SURA Fall Board and IT Committee meetings will be held on the Georgetown University campus in Washington, DC on Thursday, November 1. We confirmed that the format would be comprised of a morning session (10am – noon) devoted to external speakers, primarily from funding agencies, and an afternoon session focused on continuing the development of the RDM project with its participants.

Several names were suggested for possible speakers. Gary and Sara Graves will refine the suggested lest and begin inviting speakers. Current list of possible speakers includes:

  • Alan Blatecky, Director of NSF's Office of Cyberinfrastructure
  • Judith Verbeke, Director of NSF's Division of Integrative Biology and Neurosciences and Lead on NSF DataWay Program
  • Chris Greer, Associate Director for Program Implementation in the Information Technology Laboratory (ITL) at NIST
  • Myron Gutmann (NSF SBE) has mentioned coming changes for reporting of data sharing compliance in future proposals and project reports.
  • Mike Frame (USGS).
  • Diane Wickland (NASA Terrestrial Ecology program)
  • Somebody from NOAA CIO Council
  • DOE
  • NIH
  • White House OSTP

Status of DataWay whitepaper abstracts: Marc requested volunteers to discuss their white paper topics during the next scheduled RDM call on Oct. 8. The following people agreed to be prepared to discuss their outlines on the Oct.8 call:

  • Metadata / vocabulary ontology (Sean Moore)
  • Incentives / Drivers for use/adoption (Rick McMullen)
  • Involve research, IT, Lib and education goals/Governance (Diane Bruxvoort)

ASERL’s Data Management Policy Draft: ASERL has circulated the draft document, “Model Language for Research Data Management Policies” (attached) and has asked the RDM group for comments. Several people expressed comments regarding the way in which the document referred to CIOs and Vice Presidents for Research and agreed to send specific comments to John Burger. The group recommended that we work with ASERL to cross reference our respective documents (ASERL’s policy doc and the RDM SBSG). Gary will follow up with John. DRAFT Model Policy Language for Institutional Data Management -- drafted by the Association of Southeastern Research Libraries (ASERL)