8/23/12 Atlanta Meeting Notes

From SURA Research Data Management
Revision as of 10:54, 16 January 2013 by SURA Admin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search


SURA Research Data Management Meeting Atlanta Airport Renaissance Hotel August 23, 2012


Attendees: J.L. Albert (GSU), Jordon Andrade (FSU), Diane Bruxvoort (UFL), John Burger (ASERL), Keith Campbell (GSU), Theo Chaojareon (GWU), Gary Crane (SURA), Marc Hoit (NCSU), Ron Hutchins (GaTech), Wendy Mann (GMU), Sean Moore (Tulane), Richard Newman (FIT), Lizzy Rolando (GaTech), Bryan Sinclair (GSU), Aaron Trehub (Auburn), Pat Vince (Tulane), Chris Vinson (Clemson), Susan Wells-Parham (GaTech), Tom Wilson (UA)

Remote participants: Sara Graves (UAB), Rick McMullen (UARK), Andrew Sallans (UVA), Steve Morris


Action Items:

  • Develop a meeting summary to share with Judith Verbeke by 8/28 - Marc Hoit & Gary Crane (submitted 8/28))
  • Continue development of SBSG using info from meeting (Aaron)
  • Develop 1 page abstract for the following list of possible DataWay white papers by next bi-weekly call (9/10):
  • Collect best practices for communities of practice (Pat)
  • Economic models for sustainable curation (Jordan)
  • Community formation across groups (Gary)
  • Metadata / vocabulary ontology (Sean)
  • Incentives / Drivers for use/adoption (Rick McMullen)
  • Involve research, IT, Lib and education goals/Governance (Diane/Gary)


Volunteers will draft a 1 page outline for a white paper for comment by group.


NSF Dataway Discussion - 10:30-11:00


Judith A. Verbeke from NSF Bio Infrastructure Division and new lead for DataWay Program

  • DataWay envisioned as a portal to NSF data management programs across divisions
  • Vision: national infrastructure for heterogeneous data management
  • Goal is for charrette in Nov-Feb timeframe

o Dear colleague letter to solicit white papers to drive the agenda (by end of Sept) o Open to input from community on topics and goals for charrette o Look into RCN program as source of funding for building community

  • Judith asked group to provide topical or thematic areas for the white papers, in common language terms, used as means for evaluating who to invite to the charette
  • After charette, will split into broad community and crowdsourcing approach to gather more information from community, particularly those who weren’t at charette


Step-By-Step Guide SBSG) discussion (11:00 – noon)

  • Incorporate references to local implementations at schools. Tulane has developed a new Researcher Services site and GSU has also incorporated elements into its new Data Management guide
  • Explore making Tulane training materials available on RDM wiki for community
  • Aaron agreed to continue to add material and edit


Afternoon discussion:

Topics to include in framework for Charrette planning:

Groupings:

Policy/governance

  • link data to open access
  • Ownership and rights (reuse)
  • principles
  • how to keep data usable over time
  • Roles for reuse vs. captue new (must use existing first)
  • data standards
  • Governance (multi-level) both data focused and process
  • living standard and process (how to sustain)
  • differentiate roles (local, regional, national)
  • how to move results into operations
  • connection between proprietary and open
  • Identify framework Gaps
  • measurement - evaluation

Infrastructure/Tools

  • Data lifecycle
  • Platform - cross platform compatibility
  • how to keep data usable over time
  • discoverability (search)
  • differentiate data (transport, store, not move, etc. (compute in place))


Community building/outreach

  • promote national awareness of data management (DataOne)
  • Community building
  • Awareness and communication of big picture
  • INVOLVE: researchers, IT, Lib. education
  • Cultural change (share, reuse...)
  • public/private partnership

Suggested DataWay white paper topics:

  • Discoverability (unified list of data sets)
  • Provenance, data quality
  • Incentives/drivers for use (mandates)
  • Rights management (data security)
  • Governance (how does community want decisions made)
  • Economic models for sustainable curation
  • Glossary of data management terms
  • Metadata and ontologies (vocabulary)
  • Scoping of cost, funding
     o what can we do for how much?
  • Collection of best practices (length of preservation...)
  • Ontology mapping across fields
  • Division of effort (what is handled by community of practice, handled by larger group)
  • Balance/connection of structured/unstructured data/ontology/dirty data
  • Planning grants as part of process
  • Community formation (across groups)
  • How to evaluate the DataWay process (Clemson?)
  • Survey of organizational models and business process models that institutions, collaborations and federations are currently using
  • role of provenance in cases where data standards are not sufficient. e.g. data from imaging equipment where headers are the primary or only metadata and contents of headers are not detailed enough for reliable re-use

_________________________________________________________________

Framework for institutions to manage data:

(insert table from meeting notes)


Next Steps:

How do we map RDM economic and governance models to institutional structures?

Need framework: 1. for how to run charrette (morning list) 2. for institutions to manage data (afternoon table)

Possible white paper topics:

  • Collect best practices for communities of practice (Pat)
  • Economic models for sustainable curation (Jordan)
  • Community formation across groups (Gary)
  • Metadata / vocabulary ontology (Sean)
  • Incentives / Drivers for use/adoption (Rick McMullen)
  • Involve research, IT, Lib and education goals/Governance (Diane/Gary)

Volunteers will draft a 1 page outline for a white paper for comment by group.

Continue development of SBSG using info from meeting (Aaron)

Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
Navigation
Toolbox