6/18/12

From SURA Research Data Management
Jump to: navigation, search

Notes from SURA Research Data Management (RDM) conference call of 6/18/12

These calls are now scheduled for every other Monday at 4:00pm Eastern (3pm Central). The next SURA RDM group call will be on Monday, July 2. We will continue to use the same conference bridge: 800-377-8846 Pin: 14421498.

Attendees:

J.L. Albert (GSU), Diane Bruxvoort (UFL), John Burger (ASERL), Gary Crane (SURA), Sara Graves (UAB), Marc Hoit (NCSU), Steve Morales (UVA), Steven Morris (NCSU), Richard Newman (FIT), Ramon Padilla (UNC), Vijay Padmanabhan (GWU), Sharon Pitt (GMU), Andrew Sallans (UVA), Pat Vince (Tulane), Tom Wilson (UA), Gary Worley (VATech)

Action Items:

  1. Everyone should read and comment on the “Step-By-Step Guide to Data Management” document using Word Track Changes. Send edits to Aaron Trehub (trehuaj@auburn.edu) and Ramon Padilla (ramon_padilla_jr@unc.edu).
  2. Please send Pat (pvince@tulane.edu) the name of any metadata schema you are aware of, the discipline/community it was designed for and a URL to the schema. Once the list is compiled, she will share it with the group.
  3. Steve Morris (NCSU) agreed to look at the schema.org website and report back to the group.
  4. Ramon Padilla and others have agreed to provide a summary of the upcoming Educause webinar on research data management and provide a summary for our next SURA RDM call.

Purpose of Calls:

This was the second of our bi-weekly calls that are focused on evolving the ideas that were first raised at the March 29th SURA IT Committee meeting in St Petersburg. The purpose of these calls is to continue to develop concepts and identify community leaders prior to our August 23-24 face-to-face meeting to launch a community RDM project.

The community has identified a set of concepts and priorities for continued development. They are, in priority order:

  1. Create/expand on existing data management efforts to provide or enhance a shared tool, support or service that helps researchers meet granting agency requirements.
  2. Develop a lifecycle data management framework to help researchers understand what tools, resources and support are available.
  3. Develop a best practices document on ways campus IT and Library groups can collaborate.
  4. Explore leveraging existing or creating a new multi-institutional shared research data repository.

June 18 Discussion Items:

New NSF DataWay Program: Last Friday (6/15), in an NSF webinar, Ed Seidel, NSF Director for the Mathematical and Physical Sciences Division, announced the NSF DataWay program (see: http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2012/nsf12090/nsf12090.jsp?WT.mc_id=USNSF_25&WT.mc_ev=click). DataWay will utilize the "Charrette" process (introduced in the EarthCube program) to engage the community in developing strategies that identify and support the emergence of broadly useful ideas for a data infrastructure that facilitates and promotes efficient data utilization and management across the research communities. Several members of our group participated in the Friday DataWay webinar and members of our group have been active participants in the EarthCube charrette process. The group agreed that we are extremely well positioned to play an influential role in this new NSF program. Gary will keep the group posted as NSF rolls out additional information about this program.

Draft Step-By-Step Guide to Data Management: Aaron Trehub has created an initial draft of a Step-By-Step Guide to Data Management (attached). The group discussed this first draft and identified several next steps for improving the document:

  1. Keep the document length to less than 3 pages.
  2. Use bulleted lists as much as possible (page 2 & 3 need to be condensed and put into bulleted lists).
  3. Everyone should read and comment on the document using Word Track Changes. Send edits to Aaron Trehub (trehuaj@auburn.edu) and Ramon Padilla (ramon_padilla_jr@unc.edu).
  4. Identify which steps in the process still need tools identified or developed (where are the gaps?).
  5. Need for Discipline Specific Metadata in Step 4: Pat Vince (Tulane) raised the issue of the need for discipline specific metadata. Tulane is working to identify metadata schema for a variety of disciplines to use with the DMPTool. Please send Pat (pvince@tulane.edu) the name of any metadata schema you are aware of, the discipline/community it was designed for and a URL to the schema. Once the list is compiled, she will share it with the group.
  6. Schema.org (http://schema.org/): was identified as a possible source of discipline specific metadata schema. Steve Morris (NCSU) agreed to look at this site and report back to the group.

Educause Webinar: On Thursday, June 21 June 21Educause is holding a Webinar: “National Status of Data Management: Current Research in Policy and Education”. A description o fthe webinar and instructions for registering can be found at: http://educause.informz.net/educause/archives/archive_2433969.html. Ramon Padilla and others have agreed to provide a summary of this webinar on our next SURA RDM call (Monday, July 2 at 4pm Eastern).

Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
Navigation
Toolbox