The Plan: 2016-2017
From UA Libraries Digital Services Planning and Documentation
Revision as of 13:33, 23 May 2016 by Jlderidder
Metadata & Digital Services will support the University’s call to pursue economies and efficiencies which will enable internal reallocation of resources and lead to quality improvements by...
- Continuing to regularly evaluate all workflows to seek methods of improvement.
- Measurement: At least two workflow improvements will be identified and implemented within the coming year. Software will be developed to enable subjects and names to be updated both in Acumen and the databases simultaneously. Software will be updated as needed to support ArchivesSpace EAD finding aids.
- Identifying appropriate digital intake procedures and developing appropriate guidelines and workflows.
- Measurement: Digital Content Survey will be implemented, results analyzed, and based on findings and research, our wiki documentation and policies will be updated and expanded, and appropriate workflows implemented.
- Identifying improvements needed in web delivery
- Measurement: At least one user/usability study will be implemented, and the results analyzed, resulting in recommendations for web access improvement.
- Increasing capacity
- Measurement: Backup person will be trained in hardware support to increase effectiveness, and documentation of problem-solving methods will be added to the wiki. Archival technician will develop expertise in overhead capture. Additional staff members will be involved in metadata generation from beginning to end. Multiple staff members will gain sufficient software development expertise to contribute numerous improvements to our workflows, procedures, and access methodology. Metadata librarian will train as a SHARE Curation Associate and will then train others. Metadata librarian will identify course to increase knowledge of TEI and if possible will complete it.
Metadata & Digital Services will increase awareness and knowledge of its collections and e-resources among graduate students and faculty members by...
- Developing faceted search capabilities for Acumen.
- Measurements: MODS metadata containing hierarchicalGeographic tags will be generated from geographic subjects. XSL for display and OAI feeds will be modified to support these. Genre categories will be implemented and software developed to provide these in the form needed by the web programmer. Initial efforts to corral topics for faceting will begin.
- Increasing access to digital content
- Measurement: A set of subject browse pages will be generated and added to site maps. Google Analytics results will be analyzed quarterly and recommendations and reports developed. Where feasible, recommendations will be implemented and results reviewed to track improvements. Marketing strategies will be devised and where feasible, implemented. Software will be developed to support intake and uploads of video and restricted content. Legacy metadata records will be updated to minimally acceptable standards. Schema.org will be implemented for EAD finding aids. Rights metadata will be selected for restricted access content. RDA updates will be integrated into MODS workflow. FOAF (Friend of a Friend) elements will be incorporated into correspondence metadata to improve web usability in connecting content.
Metadata & Digital Services will support the academic mission of the university through strong collections and services.
- Digitizing special collections materials for online delivery.
- Measurement: Monthly counts of progress will be collected. Remaining Corolla yearbooks and UA Reel to Reel collection will be digitized and placed online. If possible, web delivery will be supported and implemented. If supported by the administration, videos and/or films will be digitized or outsourced for digitization, metadata created, and derivatives placed online. If authorized, a grant proposal will be developed to support expanded digitization.
- Progress: Updates are shared via email monthly and posted online.
- Assisting faculty in Digital Humanities efforts
- Measurement: Mills Marginalia data fields mapping to Nines data fields will be completed. Metadata librarian will assist DH personnel in uploading data into RDF. Metadata librarian will review metadata for Hobo News Digital Archive and recommend strategies for controlled vocabularies and data cleanup. Metadata librarian will finish data dictionary and instructions for American Fashions and Fabrics project, develop controlled vocabulary lists and investigate software to support the latter. Graduate class will be taught in Text Encoding Initiative (TEI). Metadata librarian will integrate FOAF (Friend of a Friend) encoding into Dublin Core for DH project, and will present on how these support data networks and visualization.
- Developing A/V workflows and procedures
- Measurement: The A/V inventory of videos and films will be completed. A detailed workflow for outsourcing A/V materials and managing their intake will be established. A tracking database for the content will be designed and implemented. Methods for VHS conversion will be researched and a proposal developed.
- Implementing an Institutional Repository
- Measurement: Metadata librarians will provide mapping and with assistance, transformation of ETD metadata and uploads to new repository. Supplemental materials will be added, and persistent URL support developed if possible. New policies and procedures will be developed for incoming ETDs and supplemental material. Metadata librarians will provide guidance as needed for input guidelines, and will provide quality control. Rights metadata will be selected as appropriate. Policies and procedures will be developed to support data management as needed.
Metadata & Digital Services will foster an environment of improved two-way communication and collaboration by...
- Providing monthly updates of content in Acumen to Curators, Metadata Unit, and others who request notifications.
- Measurement: Monthly updates will occur via email, in either XML or Excel form as requested.
- Progress: These reports are occurring regularly.
- Sharing information of current policies, procedures and methods on our wiki.
- Measurement: All new and modified policies and procedures will be posted to the DS wiki.
- Participating in committees and meetings on the library and university level.
- Measurement: M&DS staff/faculty will attend University and library committee/other meetings as appropriate.