Difference between revisions of "The Plan: 2016-2017"
From UA Libraries Digital Services Planning and Documentation
(→Metadata & Digital Services will foster an environment of improved two-way communication and collaboration by...)
(→Metadata & Digital Services will support the academic mission of the university through provision of research collections and services.)
|Line 27:||Line 27:|
Revision as of 12:56, 2 August 2016
- 1 Metadata & Digital Services will support the academic mission of the university through provision of research collections and services.
- 2 Metadata & Digital Services will support the University’s call to pursue economies and efficiencies which will enable internal reallocation of resources and lead to quality improvements by...
- 3 Metadata & Digital Services will increase awareness and knowledge of its collections and e-resources among graduate students and faculty members by...
- 4 Metadata & Digital Services will foster an environment of improved two-way communication and collaboration by...
Metadata & Digital Services will support the academic mission of the university through provision of research collections and services.
- Digitizing special collections materials for online delivery, including development of metadata.
- Monthly counts of progress will be collected.
- Remaining Corolla yearbooks and UA Reel to Reel collection will be digitized and placed online.
- If possible, web delivery for restricted content will be supported and implemented.
- If supported by the administration, videos and/or films will be digitized or outsourced for digitization, metadata created, and derivatives placed online.
- If authorized, a grant proposal will be developed to support expanded digitization.
- Updates are shared by email monthly and posted online.
- Separate Requests for Information were developed and shared with AD in preparation for outsourcing digitization of Corollas and 16mm films.
- Workflow overviews were designed for outsourcing digitization.
- Assisting faculty in Digital Humanities efforts
- Mills Marginalia data fields mapping will be completed and uploaded.
- Guidance will be provided for the Hobo News Digital Archive.
- Guidance will be provided for the American Fashions and Fabrics project.
- At least one graduate class will be taught.
- Implementation of FOAF (Friend of a Friend) encoding for DH project will be completed and demonstrated.
- Assisting faculty in Data Curation efforts
- Developing A/V workflows and procedures
- The A/V inventory of videos and films will be completed.
- A detailed workflow for outsourcing A/V materials and managing their intake will be established.
- A tracking database for the content will be designed and implemented.
- Methods for VHS conversion will be researched and a proposal developed.
- Microfilm for Crimson White has been identified for the portions not yet digitized; status obtained; specifications undergoing research now and Request for Information draft is completed.
- The A/V inventory of videos and films has been completed, including noting content for which the owning collection cannot be identified.
- An overview overview of the format-agnostic outsourcing workflow has been developed to inform the database development and detailed workflows and assignments/roles.
- Design for a tracking database has begun, based on the proposed workflow.
- Implementing an Institutional Repository
- Mapping and transformation of ETD metadata will be completed, with uploads to new repository.
- Supplemental materials will be added, and persistent URL support developed if possible.
- New policies and procedures will be developed for incoming ETDs and supplemental material.
- Guidance will be developed for input guidelines, quality control for new content.
- Rights metadata will be selected as appropriate.
- Policies and procedures will be developed to support data management as needed.
- Initial mapping of ETD MODS to DSpace DC has been completed.
- Transformation XSLT is being developed to implement.
- Rights investigation is underway.
- Software has been developed to transform legacy content into the groupings and form needed for batch uploads to separate communities in DSpace.
- Method had been devised to track assignments of handles in DSpace, so that we can update Persistent URLs (PURLs) to point to the new locations.
- Initial plans are under development to test viability of PDFs for preservation and document findings.
Metadata & Digital Services will support the University’s call to pursue economies and efficiencies which will enable internal reallocation of resources and lead to quality improvements by...
- Continuing to regularly evaluate all workflows to seek methods of improvement.
- At least two workflow improvements will be identified and implemented within the coming year.
- Software will be developed to enable subjects and names to be updated both in Acumen and the databases simultaneously.
- Software will be updated as needed to support ArchivesSpace EAD finding aids.
- Staff are engaged in developing software that will interact directly with the database, for tracking collections through the pipeline; this will enable us to dispose of two major spreadsheets and a lot of duplication of information and effort.
- Software is under development for subject updates in databases and Acumen
- EAD linking software has been adapted for latest idiosyncracies of ArchivesSpace EAD output.
- Identifying appropriate digital intake procedures and developing appropriate guidelines and workflows.
- Measurement: Digital Content Survey will be implemented, results analyzed, and based on findings and research, our wiki documentation and policies will be updated and expanded, and appropriate workflows implemented.
- Wiki documentation has been reviewed and updated.
- Digital Content Survey has been completed, and results are under analysis.
- Presentation has been developed and report is under development.
- Identifying improvements needed in web delivery
- Measurement: At least one user/usability study will be implemented, and the results analyzed, resulting in recommendations for web access improvement.
- We identified problems with the OCR preventing indexing; researched and tested alternative methods of extraction and cleaning; and implemented a partial solution; software was modified and OCR is now used in indexed retrieval in Acumen.
- We have a proposal in development with the web programmer that will enable us to highlight different collections on the front page of Acumen.
- This goal is on hold, as our web programmer has left.
- Increasing capacity
- Additional personnel will be trained in hardware support, and documentation of problem-solving methods will be added to the wiki.
- Additional staff members will be involved in metadata generation from beginning to end.
- Multiple staff members will gain sufficient software development expertise to contribute numerous improvements to our workflows, procedures, and access methodology.
- Staff members will seek out opportunities to gain new expertise, and where appropriate, will share with others.
- Multiple staff attended 2-day Lyrasis training on outsourcing video/film digitization.
- We're holding one-on-one bi-weekly training in metadata for all those generating metadata.
- Training of additional person in hardware support is underway.
- Training in Perl and Python continue weekly.
- Two staff are training on item-level processing methods and documentation of necessary finding aid changes.
- Lynda.com tutorials have been identified and shared appropriately
Metadata & Digital Services will increase awareness and knowledge of its collections and e-resources among graduate students and faculty members by...
- Developing faceted search capabilities for Acumen.
- MODS metadata containing hierarchicalGeographic tags will be generated from geographic subjects.
- XSL for display and OAI feeds will be modified to support these.
- Genre categories will be implemented and software developed to provide these in the form needed by the web programmer.
- Initial efforts to corral topics for faceting will begin.
- Proposed Genre categories have been reviewed and submitted for testing. Modifications of categories are now underway.
- Staff are beginning to generate hierarchicalGeographic tags in metadata.
- This goal is on hold, as our web programmer has left.
- Increasing access to digital content
- A set of subject browse pages will be generated and added to site maps.
- Google Analytics results will be analyzed quarterly and recommendations and reports developed. Where feasible, recommendations will be implemented and results reviewed to track improvements.
- Marketing strategies will be devised and where feasible, implemented.
- Software will be developed to support intake and uploads of video and restricted content.
- Legacy metadata records will be updated to minimally acceptable standards.
- Schema.org will be implemented for EAD finding aids.
- Rights metadata will be selected for restricted access content.
- RDA updates will be integrated into MODS workflow.
- FOAF (Friend of a Friend) elements will be incorporated into correspondence metadata to improve web usability in connecting content.
- E. A. Smith collection was remediated, hierarchicalGeographic entries created, and repaired MODS put online.
- Marketing strategies have been devised and approved which include monthly digital newsletter, highlighting collections in Acumen, and outreach in coordination with Hoole and Williams outreach personnel.
- Much of this goal is on hold, as our web programmer has left.
Metadata & Digital Services will foster an environment of improved two-way communication and collaboration by...
- Providing monthly updates of content in Acumen to Curators, Metadata Unit, and others who request notifications.
- Measurement: Monthly updates will occur via email, in either XML or Excel form as requested.
- Progress: These reports are occurring regularly.
- Sharing information of current policies, procedures and methods on our wiki and with each other.
- Measurement: All new and modified policies and procedures will be posted to the M&DS wiki and shared at meetings.
- HierarchicalGeographic tagging and instructions were added to the wiki.
- Outsourcing workflows were designed and added to the wiki.
- Incoming digital, and digital preservation policies were expanded and updated.
- Participating in committees and meetings on the library and university level.
- Measurement: M&DS staff/faculty will attend University and library committee/other meetings as appropriate.
- One of us is serving on the library strategic planning committee
- One is serving on the search committee for the new AD of Special Collections
- One of us reviewed applications for the new web programmer position and provided feedback.
- Several of us met with the programmer applicants and assisted with the interview
- Head is participating in department heads/coordinator meetings and OLT manager meetings