The Modified Plan: 2016-2017
Library Goal #1: Partner across the disciplines to deliver innovative instruction that empowers students to engage with, integrate, create, and transform knowledge through the use of library resources and collections.
Objective: Develop instruction, learning objects and resources that are easy to discover and incorporate into the learning management system and other delivery systems for teaching and learning.
- Develop lib guides for available digitized content relevant to teaching and learning.
- Provide opportunities for MIS/CS students to collaboratively work with us to respond to small scale programming and content needs more quickly.
Library Goal #2: Develop and maintain dynamic and flexible physical and virtual spaces that meet the needs of our campus, informed by higher education and technological advances.
Objective: Create a web presence that allows users to engage with library services, spaces, and data in innovative ways.
- Effectively assess web-based services via usability studies to inform modification of our web delivery to better meet the needs of users.
- Work as a development partner in the FOLIO project, and develop services and modules to assist the FOLIO Project reach its international partnership goals.
- Develop methods and procedures to provide online access to restricted special collections content.
Objective: Improve user experience with web interfaces and platforms, with special attention to accessibility issues for users with disabilities.
- Test accessibility of online special collections materials and devise solutions to provide appropriate accessibility.
Library Goal #3: Support and engage in the research lifecycle across campus through the development of relevant resources and services.
Objective: Provide leadership and support in the creation and use of digital scholarship, including data mining, visualization, digital humanities, and rights management.
- Assess available digital library delivery systems against the requirements and features list, incorporating costs and resources, to inform intelligent decisions.
- Develop methods to track rights information for restricted content in order to ensure open access as soon as it is possible to do so.
- Support digital humanities projects via metadata support and guidance, and data mining services as needed.
- Investigate methods to improve accessibility and usability of digital content for researchers, and implement if possible
Objective: Collect, preserve, and promote campus scholarship by capturing scholarly output in an Institutional Repository.
- Transform and upload ETDs into the institutional repository, and support persistent URL redirection
- Provide guidance and facilitation of metadata and rights implementation
Objective: Expand and promote high quality resources and collections that support curricular and research needs, including data sets.
- Digitize high quality content selected by archivists, describe effectively to enable retrieval, and provide online access
- Develop visualizations of available online digital content to engage researchers in searching our database
- Develop browse interfaces, site maps and microdata encoding of metadata to increase SEO so content will be easily found via the web
- Support effective, efficient digital preservation of digitized content and data sets as needed, to ensure long term access and protect our investment
- Develop workflows for intake and management of digital content in special collections and archives
- Develop workflows for outsourcing conservation and digitization of critical content which cannot be effectively conserved and digitized in-house
Objective: Expand data management services as funded research expands on campus.
- Provide outreach metadata services to meet the needs of researchers on campus
Library Goal #4: Re-envision the way we provide space and services for technology tools. Develop, enhance, and sustain a skilled and engaged workforce that can succeed in a changing environment and provide excellent experiences for library users.
Objective: Promote better communication across the libraries via formal and informal gatherings to share information.
- Provide public reporting to UALIB on efforts and progress in Metadata & Digital Services
- Provide an annual open house within the library, to inform attendees about what we do and why it's important.
Objective: Provide professional development and training opportunities to improve skill sets of library employees.
- Continue to evolve Workshop Wednesdays
- Continue regular training and cross-training within Metadata & Digital Services
Library Goal #5: Support a diverse and inclusive environment by providing resources, services, and spaces that promote the varied needs of the faculty, staff, and student body.
Objective: Curate exhibits/programs/events that are of interest to a broader community.
- Develop blog posts and promotional pages for content of interest to the broader community