Difference between revisions of "Standard Audio Capture"
From UA Libraries Digital Services Planning and Documentation
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
Revision as of 08:43, 19 April 2016
For updated steps go here: http://www.lib.ua.edu/wiki/digcoll/index.php/Standard_Audio_Capture_for_Reel_to_Reels_and_Cassettes
- Turn on Fostex machine
- Make sure USB cable is unplugged from computer
- Insert memory card
- The FR-2LE is equipped with a CompactFlashTM card slot which accepts a Type 2
- Press the red record button on the front of the Fostex machine.
- Play the reel/tape immediately after.
- When reel/tape is finished playing stop the tape and press the stop button on the Fostex
- To transfer Audio files from Fostex to computer put the Fostex in USB mode and plug USB cord into the computer. Or removing the Flash Card and putting it in the computer.
- Digitize reels into master .wav files on local computer; make extra copy on external hard drive.
- Use Sound Forge to optimize master wav files; upload copy of optimized files to share drive.
- Crop .wav file to get rid of excess silence at beginning and end
- Adjust volume level Process -> Volume
- Remove non-native silence
- Leave (or create if needed) 1-2 seconds of leading silence before each track
- Keep track of any changes made to the Wav file in the logfile.
- Compare Metadata with audio file content
- Check Clip Begin and Clip End times with audio files
- Check that the format column's time code match the duration of the clips.
- Run Filenames and Dupes. Make FITS.
- Create MODS using Archivist Utility
- Use XML template AU_template.m02_4.xml
- Create LOG file and include the following fields from the metadata spreadsheet:
- Captured with
- Captured by
- Source Audio File
- DS Notes
- Metadata changed
- Place LOG file in Admin Folder
- Create Tab-delimited text Metadata file
- Make sure to not have start value for source wave file
- UTF-8 w/o BOM
- Remove quotes and diacritics
- makeADLs.pl located in the S:\Digital Projects\Administrative\scripts\audio folder
- To run makeADLs.pl it needs the tab-delimitated Metadata text file that was used to make MODS
- ADLs will be deposited in the collections Admin folder
For more information, see Audio Decision List
FITS and AES
- Make FITS using filenamesAndDupes or makeFits on the server.
- After FITS are made, run fits2aes on the server.
Prepare for Upload
- The Collection folders should contain the following:
- ADL files
- Tab- deliminated text export of metadata spreadsheet
- MODS files
- FITS & AES
- .wav files
- Provide Metadata to Metadata Librarian for remediation (by placing it into the 'needsRemediation' folder located here: S:\Digital Projects\Administrative\Pipeline\collectionInfo\forMDlib\needsRemediation).
- Run makeAudioJpegs script which will create JPEGs (if we have transcripts) and QC's the MP3 files.
- Run relocate_audio script to upload MP3s, JPEGs, and MODS into Acumen.
- Run moveAudioContent script to archive master WAV files and MODS.