Share Drive Protocols
From UA Libraries Digital Services Planning and Documentation
Revision as of 16:20, 3 November 2008 by Scpstu16
Folders in S:/Digital Projects
- Digital Coll-completed –completed projects
- Digital Coll-in progress –partially-completed and/or in-progress projects
- Digital Coll-proposed – preliminary materials pertaining to proposed projects
- Digital Coll-waiting – projects chosen but not yet in progress—because they're not ready, or because they simply haven't been started yet
- OtherOnlineProjects –other digital projects Hoole is involved in
- WorkForOthers – projects we completed for other organizations
Project Tracking Folders
- Organization – files that plan our future or track our progress (such as TrackingFiles, TrackingFilenames, and jodyslist); also includes a folder for Photoshop Actions
Administrative or Other Folders
- Backup Exec AOFO Store
- Misc Folders
- Other Stuff
- System Volume Information
Folder Organization for Project Folders
- Sub-folders for projects at an early or informal stage do not need to conform to this organization scheme, as it may not even be possible, but "all sub-folders in 'Digital Coll-in-progress' and 'Digital Coll-completed' must be organized in the manner described below. As much as possible, sub-folders in 'OtherOnlineProjects' and 'WorkForOthers' should be organized in this manner, too.
- At present, this system does not apply to folders for audio projects (Harald Rohlig, Working Lives). We're still working on protocols for them.
- Main project folders - should be named with the formal digital collection number plus a helpful keyword to remind us of what that number stands for (ex: u0003_0000633_HarperTimetables).
- Project sub-folders – only three allowed within a project folder, and they should be named in a generic and uniform way (note the capitalization—it matters!):
- Object folders - for multi-page objects, sub-folders within 'Scans' should be labeled only with object filenames (example: u0003_0000633_0000006).
Note: never add other words—such as project names or 'optimized'--to subfolders. (Examples of bad folder names: 'WL_Scans' and 'RAMJAM_Optimized')
Project Sub-Folder Contents
- Scans - Where digitized materials (scans and audio files) are stored.
- All digital materials should be in optimized format.
- Do not include anything in the 'Scans' folder but files of digitized materials and their folders!
- Metadata - Where the metadata spreadsheet for a collection is kept.
- Admin - Where any other files and folders related to the collection go.