Septimus D. Cabaniss Papers
First Stage: Preparation
Preparation work will be done almost exclusively by Digitization Specialist Amanda Presnell (or in her absence due to illness, etc. by Digitization Manager Jeremiah Colonna-Romano or Digitization Specialist Nitin Arora).
Pull physical box
Boxes must be checked out from the Hoole stacks prior to scanning. Strive to check out two boxes at a time if possible so that students have a steady supply of scanning material even after they finish scanning the first box pulled.
Prepare physical box:
- Look through every folder to get a general "feel" for the contents in the box.
- Per the archivists, remove staples and replace them with plastic paper clips.
- Mark everything that needs to be scanned on the overhead by enclosing/"flagging" the item with acid free paper both in-front and behind the item.
- If an item appears to be problematic (fragile, etc.), Amanda will walk the item down to one of the archivists (Clark Center, Donelly Lancaster) to ask for guidance on how to proceed, if at all, with the item.
Second Stage: Prepare folder structure:
- A single "Scans" folder exists for the collection, so new Scans folders will not be made per our usual approach. For this collection, we will create a "box" directory for each physical box and a "folder" directory for each folder within the corresponding box.
For example, a physical box X that contains Y folders will have a folder structure as such: u0003_0000252/Scans/Box_X/Folder_Yn. A real world example for the physical folder #10 of the physical box #5: u0003_0000252/Scans/Box_05/Folder_10
- Make a new "box" folder per box.
- Make a "folder" folder for each folder in the box.
- A single collection folder exists on each computer:
- Consists of singletons and compound object folders.
Return box (after all Quality Control is done).
Third Stage: Scanning (students/Amanda):
- Before scanning, if scans are on local drive, upload them to S drive and delete upon verification of upload success.
- Make scans (needs to be fully documented?).
- Use documented specifications (compound objects will be considered compound based on obvious features ... elaborate later).
- Items needing to go on overhead:
- Mark items in TrackingFiles (use "Needs Overhead" in Notes and Highlight the row). Make sure a filename is assigned to it.
- Use physical marker around (in front and behind item) in physical box and write down filename on these markers.
- 30 minutes prior to end shift. (Use filename structure to know what "box" and "folder" directories to upload to).
- After verifying upload success, delete corresponding scans off local drive.
- If shift time remains, continue to scan. Items will get uploaded next time, etc.
- Upon completion of box:
- Alert Amanda that flatbed scanning box is complete.
- Begin scanning a new box.
- Upon completion of box:
Fourth Stage: Quality Control (Amanda):
- Verify all content are there (cross-reference with filenames).
- Check folder sequance numbers.
- S Drive:
- Label completely scanned "box" folders as "check", "QCed", "Ready", etc.
- Run PERL Scripts.
- Checks for correct filenames. Make any corrections.
- Checks for count of scans by item level. Make any corrections.
- Spot check every 20th scan for image quality.