Septimus D. Cabaniss Papers
Preparation work will be done almost exclusively by Digitization Specialist Amanda Presnell (or in her absence due to illness, etc. by Digitization Manager Jeremiah Colonna-Romano or Digitization Specialist Nitin Arora).
Pull physical box
Prepare physical box:
- Look through every folder.
- Remove staples.
- Mark everything that "needs overhead" [both physically (Amanda) and in trackingfiles (student)].
- If an item is problematic, Amanda will walk the item down to Clark/Donelly to ask for guidance.
Prepare folder structure:
- A single "Scans" folder exists for the collection.
- Make a new "box" folder per box.
- Make a "folder" folder for each folder in the box.
- A single collection folder exists on each computer:
- Consists of singletons and compound object folders.
Return box (after all Quality Control is done).
- Before scanning, if scans are on local drive, upload them to S drive and delete upon verification of upload success.
- Make scans (needs to be fully documented?).
- Use documented specifications (compound objects will be considered compound based on obvious features ... elaborate later).
- Items needing to go on overhead:
- Mark items in TrackingFiles (use "Needs Overhead" in Notes and Highlight the row). Make sure a filename is assigned to it.
- Use physical marker around (in front and behind item) in physical box and write down filename on these markers.
- 30 minutes prior to end shift. (Use filename structure to know what "box" and "folder" directories to upload to).
- After verifying upload success, delete corresponding scans off local drive.
- If shift time remains, continue to scan. Items will get uploaded next time, etc.
- Upon completion of box:
- Alert Amanda that flatbed scanning box is complete.
- Begin scanning a new box.
Quality Control (Amanda):
- Verify all content are there (cross-reference with filenames).
- Check folder sequance numbers.
- S Drive:
- Label completely scanned "box" folders as "check", "QCed", "Ready", etc.
- Run PERL Scripts.
- Checks for correct filenames. Make any corrections.
- Checks for count of scans by item level. Make any corrections.
- Spot check every 20th scan for image quality.
--Scpstu32 12:48, 18 September 2009 (CDT)