We use two programs to rename files in bulk.
Use Adobe Bridge if you...
- find problems while you capture / before you export to .tif, or
- already have Bridge open, and
- the problem is simple
Use Bulk Rename Utility if you...
- find problems after you export to .tif, and
- the problem is complex
Adobe Bridge Batch Renaming
- Can completely rewrite filenames, including adding a sequential number
- Can pattern match to rewrite parts of filenames
- Select all the files you want to be changed
- Right-click or go to Tools, then select Batch Rename...
- You shouldn't have to mess with the top two sections of the window (Presets and Destination Folder) or the next to bottom section (Options)
- Under New Filenames
- Choose an action from the dropdown menus
- Use the + / - buttons to add or subtract additional lines
- Don't worry about the extension -- it will remain unchanged
- Check the Preview section to see how the first filename will be transformed
- Click Rename
- Rename a file
- Use on either a bunch of singletons or a single item with multiple pages
- If it's a list of singletons
- On the first line, choose Text and fill in the filename minus however much will need to be the sequence number
- On the second line, choose Sequence Number, fill in the starting page number, and choose however many digits you need that sequence number to be
- If it's a multipage item
- On the first line, choose Text and fill in the filename minus the four-digital page number
- On the second line, choose Sequence Number, fill in the starting page number, and choose Four Digits
- Replace part of a filename
- Use on any kind of filename
- Reduce to one line
- Choose String Substitution
- Put the text you're removing in the Find box, and put the text you're replacing it with in the Replace with box
- Be careful -- make sure the pattern in Find doesn't appear in more than one place in the filename
- Leave the check box ticked for Replace All
Bulk Rename Utility
If this program isn't available on the machine you're working on, you can download the program from the Share drive in Administrative/forSoftware/Bulk_Rename_Utility
- Can do just about anything, really!