Presentations and Publications
From UA Libraries Digital Services Planning and Documentation
- DeRidder, Jody L. "Just Enough Light to See: Minimal Metadata for Access" [Powerpoint], at the Metadata and Digital Objects Round Table Meeting during the SAA Research Forum of Archives 360°: 75th Annual Meeting of the Society of American Archivists, in Chicago, IL, 22-27 August, 2011.
- DeRidder, Jody L. "Cheap, Quick, and Pretty: Mass Digitization of Large Manuscript Collections" [Powerpoint], part of a panel presentation on "More Access to More Content: The EAD Finding Aid and Other Effective Tools for Large-Scale Digitization" at Archives 360°: 75th Annual Meeting of the Society of American Archivists, held in Chicago, IL, 22-27 August, 2011. Other panel presenters include Laura Clark Brown, Jody Allison-Bunnell, James Roth, and Karen Weiss (chair).
- DeRidder, Jody L. 2010. "Institutional Identifiers: NISO I2 Working Group", part of a panel presentation on Linked Data -- Enabling Standards and Other Approaches at the ASIS&T Annual Conference, held in Pittsburgh, PA, 22-27 October, 2010. Presentation coauthored with Mark Needleman; other panel presenters include Marcia Zeng, Sam Oh, Jon Phipps, Ed Summers, and Gail Hodge. Available from .
- Presnell, Amanda A. 2010. "Leading the Way Toward Low-Cost Digital Collections: The S.D. Cabaniss Digitization Project," poster presentation at the Alabama Library Association 2010 Convention in Huntsville, AL, April 15, 2010.
- DeRidder, Jody L. 2010. "From Confusion and Chaos to Clarity and Hope,"  a chapter in Digitization in the Real World: Lessons Learned from Small to Medium-Sized Digitization Projects, Kwong Bor Ng and Jason Kucsma, ed. To be published by the Metropolitan New York Library Council, 2010.
- DeRidder, Jody L. 2009. "Bringing Order to Chaos: Preparation and Organization for Long-Term Access" . Delivered at the Southeast CONTENTdm Users Group 2nd Annual Meeting  Charleston, SC, October 13, 2009.
- DeRidder, Jody L. 2009. "Preparing For The Future As We Build Collections"  presented at the Society of Imaging Science & Technology Archiving 2009 Conference  in Arlington VA, May 2009. Article by the same name published in the Proceedings. Poster developed by Jeremiah Colonna-Romano: .
- DeRidder, Jody L.; Presnell, Amanda Axley; and Walker, Kevin W. "Leveraging Encoded Archival Descriptions for Access to Digital Content: A Cost and Usability Analysis," in American Archivist (Spring/Summer 2012), Vol. 75, Iss. 1.
- DeRidder, Jody L. 2011. "Benign Neglect: Developing Life Rafts for Digital Content," in Information Technology and Libraries Vol. 30, Issue 2, June 2011. Preprint is temporarily available.
- DeRidder, Jody L. 2010. "Metadata In, Library Out. A Simple, Robust Digital Library System," coauthored with Tonio Loewald. Code4Lib Journal, Issue 10, 2010-06-22. Available from http://journal.code4lib.org/articles/3107.
- DeRidder, Jody L. 2008. "Googlizing a Digital Library" An exploration of effectively and efficiently providing full-text web search capabilities to a dynamically-generated set of digitized materials, in order to leverage the power of web search to enhance access. Code4Lib Journal, Issue 2, 2008-03-24. Available from http://journal.code4lib.org/articles/43.
- DeRidder, Jody L. 2007. "Choosing Delivery Software for a Digital Library". Library Hi Tech News, 24:9/10, 2007, pp. 19-21.
- DeRidder, Jody L. 2007. "The Immediate Prospects for the Application of Ontologies in Digital Libraries." Knowledge Organization, Vol. 34, No. 4, December 2007.
- DeRidder, Jody L. 2007. A short report  and PowerPoint presentation  on Dublin Core metadata  terms and uses.
- DeRidder, Jody L. 2006. "Metadata in Digital Libraries" . A 2006 overview of various forms of metadata currently in use in digital libraries in the US, and the purposes of each.