From UA Libraries Digital Services Planning and Documentation
Revision as of 09:26, 23 October 2012 by Kgmatheny
When do you need an OCR List?
When any of the content in the current upload is typewritten (versus handwritten).
When you can do without creating an OCR List:
- If NONE of the items are typewritten, you can tell the makeJpegs script that there are no items to OCR. (Upon not finding the ocrList.txt file, it will ask you if you want to OCR anything. You will tell it no.)
- If ALL the of items are typewritten, you can ask the makeJpegs script to OCR everything. (Upon not finding the ocrList.txt file, it will ask you if you want to OCR anything. You will tell it yes, then choose the option to OCR the entire content of the upload.)
How to create an OCR List
- Open the collection's TrackingFiles log file
- For the files you are uploading, copy those rows to a new spreadsheet
- In the new spreadsheet, delete all columns EXCEPT: Filename and OCR?
- This will results in a two-column list, with only one filename per line -- which is what the script is looking for
- OCR? should be filled in with 1 or 0 for each item (1=yes to OCR, more than half of the item is typewritten, 0=no to OCR)
- If it isn't, take the time to look over the items in Bridge and fill in that column
- Save the new spreadsheet as tab delimited file called [collection number].ocrList.txt
- Example: u0003_0001577.ocrList.txt
- Put in collection's Admin folder (in Digital_Coll_Completed directory, of course!)