OAI (Open Archives Initiative) is the protocol which allows us to vend our metadata out to metadata harvesters, so that users can search for our content in AlabamaMosaic, in Scout, in WorldCat, in american-south.org and in other portals.
OAI has 5 verbs, which can be modified with date ranges, metadata types and more.
- A testing interface for OAI can be found here: .
- On the server, the configuration files for OAI are in /srv/www/htdocs/acumen-old/legacy/mv/vendors
- You'll see here XSL for MODS, EAD, METS, Collection and tags; only MODS is in use. I do not know if the SOLR ones are in use.
- The MODS xsl has 3 versions: one for Ebsco Discovery Services (EDS, or Scout), one for the ASERL project (more on these below), and then the primary one.
- These files are named (in the same order as above) mods_oai_eds.xsl, mods_oai_aserl.xsl and mods_oai.xsl
- Changes to these will change how the MODS is translated into unqualified Dublin Core metadata, which is required by OAI.
- And the software that makes it happen is in /srv/www/htdocs/acumen-old/legacy/mv/plugins
- And here are our OAI URLs:
- The base URL for OAI is http://acumen.lib.ua.edu/legacy/oai?
- For the ASERL project (american-south.org) it was http://acumen.lib.ua.edu/legacy/oai_aserl? which only provided content with the project link in the MODS.
- For Scout (the Ebsco discovery interface) it is http://acumen.lib.ua.edu/legacy/oai_eds? which leaves out the mass-digitized collections.
Our implementation does not current support sets.
Currently our implementation returns 200 records at a time.
The contact person is set in /srv/www/htdocs/acumen-old/legacy/mv/plugis/oai.php
Here are some test URLs:
- Identify: http://acumen.lib.ua.edu/legacy/oai?verb=Identify
- To fetch a single record, prefix the identifier with "oai:acumen.lib.ua.edu" and use it with the GetRecord verb. This is the link for u0003_0000581_0000001: http://acumen.lib.ua.edu/legacy/oai?verb=GetRecord&metadataPrefix=oai_dc&identifier=oai:acumen.lib.ua.edu:u0003_0000581_0000001
- To fetch the first 200 records: http://acumen.lib.ua.edu/legacy/oai?verb=ListRecords&metadataPrefix=oai_dc -- at the end you will see a resumptionToken which allows you to get the next 200 records.
- To fetch the next 200 records: http://acumen.lib.ua.edu/legacy/oai?verb=ListRecords&resumptionToken=oai_dc;200 and so on.