Moving Content To Long-Term Storage
Currently, we are developing collections on a shared Windows drive called "Share" in the Digital Projects folder.
We are storing content long-term on a Linux server.
We are delivering content on another Linux server via CONTENTdm, and Tonio Loewald of OLT has developed an alternative (Linux-based) delivery solution, Acumen http://acumen.lib.ua./edu which runs off a web-enabled version of our storage area.
This is the current set of procedures for moving content from Share to long term storage, and linking them into manifests for LOCKSS. This procedure should happen on a regular basis:
TO MOVE CONTENT TO STORAGE
ACCESS and IDENTIFICATION
1) ssh to libcontent1.lib.ua.edu.
2) To get root access, run: sudo su (if you do not have sudo access, you cannot do this process)
3) To get access to the share drive from the libcontent1 Linux server, run: mount -t cifs -o username=jlderidder,domain=lib //libfs1.lib.ua-net.ua.edu/share/Digital\ Projects/ /cifs-mount and type in your password to the share drive. (substitute your own username there in the line above)
4) To determine what the status in on content in the Digital Services folder on share, run: /srv/scripts/qc/status This script goes through the Digital_Coll_Complete and Digital_Coll_in_progress folders, and pulls out paths to folders that end in _ready (for Mary), _store and _online (for pickup for storage) and also _check, for digital services quality control. The lists of these paths are written to files in /srv/scripts/qc/lists: forMary are things waiting for her; checkme are for the DS folks storeMe are things ready to go online and be stored
5) Share this output with Digital Services folks, to verify it is correct.
MOVE TO LINUX SERVER
6) Once verified, look under /cifs-mount for content in share directory. Copy it over to /srv/deposits/content/. for example: cp -r /cifs-mount/Digital_Coll_Complete/u0003_0002121_Aston_1939 /srv/deposits/content/. This does a recursive copy of the entire specified directory and all its contents, and places the copy in the /srv/deposits/content directory on the libcontent1 server.
7) do a diff from /srv/deposits/content to the location of the content on share drive area to see if we got the content ok; for example: diff -r /cifs-mount/Digital_Coll_Complete/u0003_0002121_Aston_1939 /srv/deposits/content/u0003_0002121_Aston_1939 look at the output: if none, it's a match. If there's a variation, recopy the specified files, and then run the diff again. If it's a big directory, prepend the command with "nohup " so the process will continue to run if you log off or lose your connection. The output then will be in the nohup.out file in the directory where you ran the "diff" command.
8) Once you're sure you have a clean copy (no output from "diff"), delete the specified directory from the share drive. For example: rm -r /cifs-mount/Digital_Coll_Complete/u0003_0002121_Aston_1939 This is a powerful command, a recursive removal of a directory and everything in it, including subdirectories. Be careful with it.
9) look through the directories in /srv/deposits/content for anomalies, badly named things, and new categories -- any which are not listed on http://libcontent1.lib.ua.edu/lockss/Manifest.html ( this manifest is in /srv/www/htdocs/lockss/). Anomalies might be directories which do NOT match the expected structure (Admin, Metadata, Scans, Transcripts) or subfolder structure beneath them; spaces in filenames or directories, etc. Report any problems to Digital Services staff and arrange for corrections before proceeding further
10) move any item-level text files out of scans to S:\Digital Projects\Administrative\collectionInfo\forMDlib\itemMD\ and notify Mary 11) RUN testIncoming (in /srv/scripts/qc; script available here: File:TestIncoming.txt) and look at the output for problems.
MOVE CONTENT TO ARCHIVE
12) Copy all the collection XML files out for addition to the database: (from /srv/deposits/content/ directory, run 'cp */Admin/*xml ../hold/.' This puts them in the /srv/deposits/hold/ directory for addition to the online collection list. You don't want the collections showing up online when the links go to nothing, so database upload of this needs to wait.
13) If the collection has an icon: make sure it is in the Admin folder, named for the collection. For example, u0003_0002121.icon.png for the collection above. (You will need to copy this to the CONTENTdm server (content.lib.ua.edu) and place it in the /usr/local/Content4/docs/cdm4/images directory, with 664 access rights "chmod 664 xyz.png"). List this icon in /srv/scripts/collstuff/icons, so the collToDbase script will know not to apply a default icon link.
14) a) open /srv/scripts/storing/relocating (script available here: File:Relocating.txt) and set $test = 1. b) run "relocating > look". It will: i) list the files it's going to move, from where and to where in "moveme" ii) write the new manifests into RelocateManifests so you can see what they're going to look like iii) write the parent manifests to parentMans, so you can see what they're going to look like iv) write errors to "look" file, as well as other info c) Look at the output in the "look" file, and the manifests concatenated in RelocateManifests and parentMans.
15) Make whatever repairs are necessary for script to work. If there are any new categories (z0004?), then add them, and create top level manifests in those category directories (copy from like directories and modify to fit).
16) Open /srv/scripts/storing/relocating and edit out the line $test = 1;
17) Empty the file /srv/scripts/storing/RelocateManifests, and copy moveme to another filename.
18) WARNING! Before running /srv/scripts/storing/relocating, do a "chmod -R 755 /srv/archive". This will enable you to write to the directories as root
19) run "relocating > look" again, this time for real. It will take hours. Occasionally check the output in "look" and the archive directory for errors.
SUPPLEMENTAL WORK, CLEAN-UP, AND QUALITY CONTROL
20) If the output tells you to modify or create manifests, do that next (if not done already) in top level of /srv/www/htdocs/lockss directory The script does NOT create the top 2 levels of manifests, as it does not have sufficient information about new categories to fill this in.
21) check links at http://libcontent1.lib.ua.edu/lockss/Manifest.html -- drill down. If you cannot access it, modify the .htaccess file in /srv/www/htdocs/lockss to allow your IP, and restart the apache web server: '/usr/sbin/apache2ctl restart' (be sure to change it back, and then restart the web server)
22) then run 'checkem > look' in /srv/scripts/storing (script available here: File:Checkem.txt) -- it will use the "moveme" file to verify md5 sums of content that was moved, and delete from the deposits directory if there's a match. If there's NOT a match, it will output "ERROR: " and the error. So look through the "look file" for problems. Again, if there's a lot of content, precede this command with "nohup " and then look later in the nohup.out file for the content that normally would go into "look". 23) run checkArchive (script available here; File:CheckArchive.txt) and look at ArchiveERRORS; make repairs. If needed, alter and run doubleCheck to make sure things were copied over; checkMans to check that what's linked in the Manifest actually copied; addToMans to add content that was moved but not written to the Manifest. Problems occur especially when the server goes down during a transfer. Especially be aware that dozens of tiffs may have been copying when it went down, meaning multiple images are corrupted or damaged. 24) do a "chmod -R 555 /srv/archive" to protect the archive from unauthorized alteration until next time.
25) then go look in the /srv/deposits directory, make sure folders are clean, and delete them. I do this: ls /srv/deposits/content/* ls /srv/deposits/content/*/* ls /srv/deposits/content/*/*/* ls /srv/deposits/content/*/*/*/* if you find content, there's a problem. Solve it!! It may be necessary to rename things and go back through steps 13 on again. if no content: rm -r /srv/deposits/content/* (this will recursively delete all content in the directory)
MAKE IT LIVE ONLINE
26) go to /srv/scripts/surfacing and run copychange (script available here: File:Copychange.txt) to create derivatives from tiffs, wave files and copy transcripts over to the web directory for access;
27) then run /srv/scripts/surfacing/repair to remediate the doubles created from tiffs which include both thumbs and large images.
28) cd /home/Jeremiah and locate the MODS for what was just moved, in the MODS directory. Run "relocate.pl" to send them live.
UPDATE DATABASE WITH COLLECTION INFO
29) Then go to the collstuff directory /srv/scripts/collstuff and run: collToDbase to put the collection info in the database. This looks through /srv/deposits/hold directory for collection-numbered XML files. It parses through the content, repairing encoding errors, puts the content into mysql InfoTrack.allColls, adds the expected canned link, and asks you for each collection and each delivery system whether or not the collection is online. The software will give you the expected URL to test; if it fails, and you know the content is in the system, locate the correct URL and provide it to the software, which will ask for a correction.
30) Check the database entries... mysql, InfoTrack.allColls. For example: mysql -u jlderidder -p (enter password) use InfoTrack; select * from digColls where id_2009 like "u0003_0002121" and AnalogOrDigital like "D"; (when done, enter "quit;") If not okay, make repairs from command line.
15) Verify that links and display are correct. they will show up online here: [].
31) run /srv/scripts/metadata/findMissing to find out what doesn't have metadata, what doesn't have derivatives -- troubleshoot.
32) Either index these directories immediately from the Acumen admin interface (http://acumen.lib.ua.edu/admin) or wait a little while for the cron indexer to pick up the content, then check the output: http://acumen.lib.ua.edu/. Content should appear already in the web directories located here: http://libcontent1.lib.ua.edu/content/. See Find our content online for detailed instructions.
The current, working version of these instructions is located here on libcontent1: /srv/scripts/metadata/storing/DOTHIS.
updated 22 February 2010 Jlderidder