Diagram of metadata movement for content being digitized in Digital Services effective November 2009: File:Metadata.pdf
When content is ready for storage:
- Put the Excel file into S:\Digital Projects\Administrative\collectionInfo\forMDlib\needsRemediation for Mary.
- Export a tab-delimited text file and put it with the content for Storage.
- Export a tab-delimited text file to generate MODS according to the instructions here: Making MODS
- Upload the MODS to Acumen by following the process outlined here: Uploading_MODS
- Delete the text file used to create the MODS.
- Notify Jody that new MODS await.
- Retrieve deposited spreadsheet from S:\Digital Projects\Administrative\collectionInfo\forMDlib\needsRemediation, and remediate metadata appropriately.
- Move the remediated spreadsheet to S:\Digital Projects\Administrative\collectionInfo\Storage_Excel
- Generate MODS records, according to the instructions here: Making MODS
- Upload these MODS records to Acumen by following the process outlined here: Uploading_MODS
- Export a tab-delimited text file of the remediated metadata.
- Deposit the exported tab-delimited collection-level metadata in S:\Digital Projects\Administrative\collectionInfo\JodyPickup.
- Notify Jody it's ready for pickup.
Jody: Digital Services
- If initial uploaded content includes text files in the Scans directory (i.e. item-level tab-delimited metadata), move those to S:\Digital Projects\Administrative\collectionInfo\forMDlib\itemMD\
- Notify Mary they're ready for pickup
- Pick up finalized spreadsheets from S:\Digital Projects\Administrative\collectionInfo\JodyPickup and transfer to the deposits directory on libcontent1
- Process for correct deposit into long term storage and linking in LOCKSS Manifests
Metadata Transfer and Remediation for Collections Requiring Multiple Uploads
- When enough item scans have passed quality control checks to warrant an upload of materials to Storage (i.e. a "batch"), the metadata corresponding to the items to be uploaded is copied out of the original set of metadata and pasted into a new Excel file (.xlsx) by Digital Services. The naming convention for this file is collectionNumber.n.xlsx, where "n" is the numerical value of the batch. Ex: u0008_0000001.2.xlsx = the metadata for the second batch of items for collection u0008_0000001.
Digital Services will note - in the original collection metadata Excel file - which items correspond to this batch. This shall be done via entering the information into a column in the Excel version of the collection metadata. In this fashion, we keep track of which batch we're on.
This column and it's cells must be excluded from any subsequent text files that are generated for MODS or Storage purposes.
- This subset of the collection metadata is then exported from Excel as a tab delimited .txt file and is placed in the appropriate folder in s:\Digital Projects\Digital_Coll_Complete by Digital Services.
- The .xlsx version of this metadata subset is placed into S:\Digital Projects\Administrative\collectionInfo\forMDlib\needsRemediation by Digital Services.
- Metadata Services then applies the same steps as for single batch collections in terms of MODS generation and exporting a .txt files to delivery to Jody for Storage.
- If there *is* a collnum.2.xlsx or collnum.2.txt, and there is a collnum.xlsx or collnum.txt in the same directory, we will assume that the latter is the first segment of metadata for the collection. That is to say, it *is* the collnum.1.xlsx or collnum.1.txt file.
Workflow Slide Presentations
Workflow between Digital Services and Metadata Services regarding Excel files/metadata - Slide show regarding how Digital Services delivers metadata to Metadata Services for remediation. This does not cover the creation of MODS files or how Metadata Services delivers tab-delimited metadata for long term Storage.