Diagram of metadata movement for content being digitized in Digital Services effective October 2009: File:Metadata.pdf Diagram of metadata movement for collections requiring multiple uploads this image shows a potential policy: File:Metadata transfer and remediation.pdf
When content is ready for storage:
- put a copy of the Excel into S:\Digital Projects\Administrative\collectionInfo\forMDlib for Mary (and tell her),
- put another copy of the Excel into S:\Digital Projects\Administrative\collectionInfo\Storage_Excel,
- export a Unicode tab-delimited text file (use Open Office) and put it with the content for storage
- use a copy of this txt file to generate MODS according to the instructions here Making MODS.
- and upload the MODS to Acumen by following the process outlined here: Uploading_MODS
- then delete the text file
- Retrieve deposited spreadsheet from S:\Digital Projects\Administrative\collectionInfo\forMDlib and remediate metadata appropriately
- Combine page-level metadata with item-level metadata in spreadsheet
- Save a copy of the remediated spreadsheet in S:\Digital Projects\Administrative\collectionInfo\Storage_Excel, overwriting the older version of the spreadsheet
- Generate MODS records, according to the instructions here Making MODS.
- Upload these MODS records to Acumen by following the process outlined here: Uploading_MODS
- Deposit a copy of the exported Unicode tab-delimited collection-level metadata spreadsheet in S:\Digital Projects\Administrative\collectionInfo\JodyPickup
- Notify Jody it's ready for pickup
Jody: Digital Services
- If initial uploaded content includes text files in the Scans directory, move those to S:\Digital Projects\Administrative\collectionInfo\forMDlib\itemMD\
- Notify Mary they're ready for pickup
- After Mary picks up content in S:\Digital Projects\Administrative\collectionInfo\forMDlib, move it to S:\Digital Projects\Administrative\collectionInfo\PickedUpByMDLib so we know what has been picked up already
- Pick up finalized spreadsheets from S:\Digital Projects\Administrative\collectionInfo\JodyPickup and transfer to the deposits directory on libcontent1
- Process for correct deposit into long term storage and linking in LOCKSS Manifests
Metadata Transfer and Remediation for Collections Requiring Multiple Uploads
- Metadata is held in a .xlsx file and used to help generate mediafiles
- The original set of metadata is kept on the first worksheet of the workbook
- when enough mediafiles have been created to warrant an upload of materials to the storage drive, a portion of the metadata corosponding to the mediafiles to be uploaded is copied out of the original set of metadata and pasted into a seperate tab/worksheet of the .xlsx file.
- This portion of the metadata is then exported from excel as a CSV .txt file, and is handed over to be uploaded to the storage and web access server.
- At some point during this process the metadata unit will want to perform a remediation of the metadata information for this collection.
- the metadata for remediation in the .xlsx file will either be in the main worksheet or in one of the batch tab worksheets.
- By editing the metadata with precedence for metadata found on a tab in the .xlsx file, the possibility of creating versions of the metadata by having it in too many places is avoided
- If this collection is in progress its .xlsx file will be found in the collection metadata folder
- If this collection has been finished its .xlsx file will be found in the storage excel folder with other .xlsx files from other finished collections.
- Either way once the metadata has been remediated it will be re-output to CSV .TXT files and handed off to be uploaded to the storage and web access server to replace the original CSV .TXT files that were uploaded.