From UA Libraries Digital Services Planning and Documentation
This page demonstrates how to create MODS files using Archivist Utility from an Excel metadata spreadsheet.
What You Need
- Microsoft Excel
- A solid text editor such as Notepad++ Portable (a Windows text editor) is freely available here.
- Archivist Utility.
- Open metadata (.xlsx) in Excel and choose SAVE AS.
- Choose the "Text (Tab delimited)" option as shown if the metadata has no diacritics/ "foreign" characters in it.
- If there are diacritics in the metadata, refer to Diacritics before proceeding.
- Save the .txt file in a prepared "Metadata" folder in the Digital_Coll_Complete directory.
- Open the .txt folder with your text editor. Do a find and replace to remove all the quotation marks that have appeared during the export.
- Open Archivist Utility.
- Load the correct MODS template by choosing the "Load XML Template".
- For "old" metadata spreadsheets, this template is MODS-template_7.ds.xml
- For m01 metadata spreadsheets, this template is AU_template.m01_5.xml
- Both of these templates can be found in S:\Digital Projects\Administrative\forSoftware\ArchivistUtility
- Chose the "Load Data" tab and select your .txt file.
- Choose the "Log" tab to check for errors.
- If no errors, chose "Export All Rows" and place the MODS output in the prepared MODS folder in the Digital_Coll_Complete directory.
for information on how to upload MODS, see Uploading MODS