Make It Live!
Here's the workflow for getting Cabaniss content live. (Software here: Cabaniss_Software)
1) starting on the Share drive, make sure all tiffs are in a Scans folder in S:\Digital Projects\Digital_Coll_Complete\u0003_0000252_Cabaniss
2) use the script S:\Digital Projects\Administrative\scripts\Cabaniss\CabanissCheck.pl to check filenames; run it till it shows no errors. File:CabanissCheck.txt
3) delete all existing jpegs in the upload directory IF they were not deleted after the last upload.
4) plug in the flash drive that contains the ImageMagick software, unless you have it installed on your desktop.
5) note the path to ImageMagick. Example: "F:\ImageMagick" if using the flash on the F drive of your desktop.
6) use S:\Digital Projects\Administrative\scripts\Cabaniss\makeJpegs.pl to generate jpegs into upload directory. The script will ask you for the path to ImageMagick. File:MakeJpegs.txt
7) Spot check the output. There should be 3 jpegs for every tiff. One ends in _128, one in _512, and one in _2048. These correspond to the number of maximum pixels to a side. The one ending in "_128.jpg" is a thumbnail. The one ending in "_2048.jpg" is a large image; the "_512.jpg" is the mid-sized default used in display.
8) upload jpegs to Jeremiah's home directory on libcontent1, into the CABANISS/jpegs directory
9) delete jpegs in the upload directory on the share drive after upload is complete.
10) open a command-line window in SSH. Type in: `cd CABANISS/scripts`. This will change your working directory to the one where the scripts are.
11) run repair in CABANISS/scripts directory: type in: `repair`; This is to remedy the problem created by ImageMagick creating multiple jpegs from a single tiff, due to the software on the CaptureBack scanner stuffing thumbnail tiffs into the master files. File:RepairJpegs.txt
12) run linkContent in CABANISS/scripts directory: type in: `linkContent` . This updates the EAD in the EAD directory and copies the older version to the CABANISS/backups directory. File:LinkContent.txt
13) check in the output directory for the latest Linking_README file (they are timestamped). Look for "ERROR" and note any warnings. If necessary, make repairs to files and rerun. If the EAD was trashed, the previous copy was placed in the backups directory with a timestamp on it. You can replace the trashed one with the previous version and rerun if you need to.
14) run generateMODS in CABANISS/scripts directory: type in: `generateMods` . This creates minimal mods for each item and places them in the CABANISS/MODS directory -- it also copies them to the deposits directory for archiving with the tiffs. File:GenerateMods.txt
15) check in the output directory for the latest MODS_README file (they are timestamped). Look for "ERROR" and note any warnings. If necessary, make repairs to files and rerun. It will overwrite existing MODS only if they have NOT been distributed live.
16) run makeItLive script in CABANISS/scripts directory: type in: `makeItLive` . This distributes the jpegs and MODS in Acumen. It will delete the local copies of MODS and jpegs, so you can reuse the same directories over and over.Watch for errors on the command line.
17) Wait for indexing to occur. This may be about 24 hours.
18) Check online to locate one of the files you just uploaded. For example, if one of them was u0003_0000252_2010003, then look for http://acumen.lib.ua.edu/u0003_0000252_2010003 -- if it's there, indexing completed.
19) Once indexing has completed, run eadLive to copy the EAD to the web directory. It's important to wait for indexing to be complete so the links in the EAD are valid.
20) Check the website and make sure everything is hunky dory. :-)
21) exit out of secure shell. Good work!!