Linking out from EADS
Currently, our Encoded Archival Description finding aids (EADs, reference http://www.loc.gov/ead/ ) are being created in Archivists Toolkit (AT, reference http://www.archiviststoolkit.org/ ). In early 2014, we expect to shift to ArchivesSpace.
We had originally set up capabilities for archivists to add links to digitized content into the EADs for small collections (Here are the instructions for Obtaining PURLs for online content) -- but they didn't have the time to do so.
Recently, our linking procedures had grown in complexity, so I have expanded our linking software to do several things:
- adding links based on itemId into image EADs and manuscript EADs (regardless of digital collection number);
- adding links based on box & folder value metadata matches, in order of digitization, pulling titles from the MODS
- If the box/folder value is linked multiple times, adds new box/folder entry following the last one, and inserts links there (thus does not assume title matches the entry)
- adding boxes and folders that follow the ones in the EAD (assumes that processing started at the beginning of the collection, and/or boxes), linking in content
- adding boxes and folders to EADs with none, and linking in content
- adding links for content to EADs where neither EAD nor MODS have box/folder entries
- transforming itemID values indicating numerical sequence into potential item identifiers, and checking for match, then linking if available (example: "Item 2" or "Artifact 12"
This still fails to link in:
- content from folders & boxes that precede those listed in the EADs
- content for which we cannot determine the correct identifier from the itemId in the EAD
- content for which we cannot match the box/folder entry in the MODS to what's in the EAD
- content for which we cannot parse the box/folder entry, or there isn't any in the MODS, but there's box/entry values in the EAD
Still, these changes have enabled me to link in over 9500 more items into the finding aids. And combining the multiple linking scripts and workflows has enabled me to automate the process, saving me several hours per month.
Here are specifics for what those tags may look like: Scripted Links in EADs
More info about this process can be found in EADs.