Image Specifications and Standards
Photoshop CS3 (Adobe):
Images scanned on a flatbed scanner, the Book Drive scanner or the Scan Back scanner will be optimized in Photoshop. A set of actions has been created for this purpose. They are called the Polyborder_Image_Opt actions and can be found on the Share drive at S:\Digital Projects\Organization\Photoshop actions\Polyboarder_Image_Opt.atn. They can be loaded by opening Photoshop and going to the Window tab and selecting Actions. This will bring up the Actions tool bar. Select the fly-out menu on the right side of the Actions tool bar and then select Load Actions. Navigate to the folder where the actions are located on the Share drive.
There are 4 actions included in this set.
CCW Rotate 90
- Click on either of these two actions to rotate the image so it is facing the direction which makes it easiest to read the majority of writing on a page or see the image clearly.
- Click on this action to get a 2-headed arrow. Use this arrow to align the image so that it is straight. Once you have aligned the image, hit the Enter button on your keyboard. This should change the 2-headed arrow to the rectangular marquee tool.
- Use the rectangular marquee tool to draw an outline of the image. Do not leave a border, because this action will create a border. This is an effort to standardize the way our images look. When you have created the outline, click on the Auto Border action. This will create the border, save, and close the image.
Default File/Output Settings
- *.tif, 8bit, flattened, no compression, 600dpi
- note: currently our ContentDM implementation is crashing due to a 16bit memory leak we will address this issue as we move forward.
both Mac and PC workstations
Performance issues may arise on the MACs if Preferences are not modified.
- These issues can be prevented by using the following settings under Preferences:
- Under Preferences>General uncheck "Export Clipboard". (This can be done on Windows machines, too.)
- Under Preferences>Performance set the RAID as the scratch drive.