EADs to Spreadsheets
Starting in 2014, the archivists have been adding fairly extensive item-level metadata to the EAD finding aids.
To avoid duplication of effort, we extract that metadata and generate spreadsheets for digitization.
The process currently requires root access on the libcontent server, but we will likely modify that soon. Because of the new EADs being output from ArchiveSpace, the EADs must go through another layer of processing.
To clean up an EAD from ArchiveSpace:
1) Put the xml version of the EAD in S:\Special Collections\Digital_Program_files\EAD\new
2) Log in to ssh and cd to /srv/scripts/surfacing/EADs_auto
3) Run getEads
4) The cleaned up EAD will be in /srv/deposits/EADs/unlinkedASCII and the original copy will be in the fromSC directory
5) Use the cleaned up EAD to go through the process below:
To convert the EAD to a xls Spreadsheet:
1) Log in to ssh and cd to /srv/scripts/eads/toSS/
- Move the older EADs to olderEads
Example: libcontent:/srv/scripts/eads/toSS/eads # mv u0001_2010020.ead.xml ../olderEads/u0001_2010020.ead.xml
2) Copy the EAD(s) to ./eads/ there
Example: libcontent:/srv/scripts/eads/toSS/eads # cp /home/claire/shareDrive/Digital_Coll_Complete/*xml .
3) Run “getItems”
4) Check the results in the ./ss/ directory there
5) Copy the spreadsheet (ss) to the Share Drive.
Example: libcontent:/srv/scripts/eads/toSS/ss # cp u0001_2010021.m01.xls /home/claire/shareDrive/Digital_Coll_Complete/.