This diagram shows the creation of the EAD in Archivists Toolkit (AT) during processing. The archivists consider the copy in Archivists Toolkit to be the copy of record; however, we have found that reloading EADs containing links to component items modifies the links, and reexporting modifies them further. So we have altered our workflow. While the EAD in AT is the copy of record for analog material, the delivery EAD (containing the links to digitized content) will be stored separately. Every time EADs are modified by the archivists, they must go through the item-level linking process again.
1) EADs are exported by archivists from Archivists Toolkit and placed in the "new" or "remediated" folders in the share drive S:\Special Collections\Digital_Program_files\EAD directory.
2) Every Friday night, a script called "getEADs" (File:GetEads.txt -- this script no longer places the EADs live in Acumen) picks up these EADs, makes a datestamped directory in the "uploaded" directory there on the share drive (for example, "uploaded_new_20100803"), copys the EADs to the corresponding "uploaded" directory (so the archivists will know what was picked up when), and then places them in an "notInDbase" directory on libcontent1 (under /srv/deposits/EADs/).
Soon the following scripts will be cron jobs (run automatically, like getEads), but currently we are still improving the scripts to better filter the EADs and match up item-level metadata.
3) "testboxfolder" (in/srv/scripts/eads/) looks for which ones we can link, outputs several lists of problems found, and creates sums list which is used by next script, of what can be linked.
4) "linkInContent" pulls EADs from /srv/deposits/EADs/notInDbase/, goes through the Acumen directories, reading box and folder values in the item-level MODS, hunts through the appropriate EAD to match up the location, creates PURL links and enters them into the EAD, puts unlinked version in /srv/deposits/EADs/unlinked, linked version in /srv/deposits/EADs/notInDbase and LINKED folder (in /srv/scripts/eads) after backing up previously linked version (datestamped) into backups (also in /srv/scripts/eads/)
5) "EadsToDbase" pulls from /srv/deposits/EADs/notInDbase/, updates the database (including replacing changed title and abstract); the values in the database appear in the online collection list (| http://www.lib.ua.edu/digital/browse), so it also puts the EADs live online in Acumen, and moves the copy from notInDbase to /srv/deposits/EADs/new.
6) "relocatingEads" pulls from /srv/deposits/EADs/new and locates where the EADs go in the archive, versioning as necessary and linking them into existing LOCKSS manifests, or creating new ones as needed.
This is to give Acumen time to index the content, before adding the entries into the online database that feeds our collection list. We don't want dead links showing up in this list.
Some discussion of the linking from EADs, instructions, and implementation, can be found in Linking_out_from_EADS. We are currently in the throes of analysis and repair of data entry in both the item-level metadata and the EADs to enable automated linking to digitized content from the finding aid. (Already this is enabled in the Cabaniss project.
updated 12/10/10 Jlderidder