The Modified Plan: 2016-2017
Library Goal #1: Partner across the disciplines to deliver innovative instruction that empowers students to engage with, integrate, create, and transform knowledge through the use of library resources and collections.
Objective: Develop instruction, learning objects and resources that are easy to discover and incorporate into the learning management system and other delivery systems for teaching and learning.
- Develop libguides for available digitized content relevant to teaching and learning.
Library Goal #2: Develop and maintain dynamic and flexible physical and virtual spaces that meet the needs of our campus, informed by higher education and technological advances.
Objective: Create a web presence that allows users to engage with library services, spaces, and data in innovative ways.
- Effectively assess web-based services via a usability study to inform our future web delivery to better meet the needs of users.
- Develop methods and procedures to provide online access to restricted special collections content.
- Restore full functionality to Acumen, and maintain it until a new system is selected.
- Migrate content to whatever delivery system is selected by the administration.
Library Goal #3: Support and engage in the research lifecycle across campus through the development of relevant resources and services.
Objective: Provide leadership and support in the creation and use of digital scholarship, including data mining, visualization, digital humanities, and rights management.
- Participate in the national collaboration, SHARE, led by the Association of Research Libraries and the Center for Open Science, to make research and scholarly activities across their life cycle widely accessible, discoverable, and reusable by developing an open access repository.
- Support digital humanities projects via metadata support and guidance, and data mining services as needed.
- Watermark our delivery images and provide low-resolution online access, to protect our resources.
- Develop libguides for data curation tools, like open refine
Objective: Collect, preserve, and promote campus scholarship by capturing scholarly output in an Institutional Repository.
- Transform and upload ETDs into the institutional repository, and support persistent URL redirection
- Provide assistance to IR librarian on guidance and facilitation of metadata and rights implementation
Objective: Expand and promote high quality resources and collections that support curricular and research needs, including data sets.
- Digitize high quality content selected by archivists, describe effectively to enable retrieval, and provide online access
- Develop browse interfaces, site maps and microdata encoding of metadata to increase SEO (Search Engine Optimization) so content will be easily found via the web
- Support effective, efficient digital preservation of digitized content and data sets as needed, to ensure long term access and protect our investment
- Develop workflows for intake and management of digital content in special collections and archives
- Develop effective, efficient workflows and tracking for outsourcing digitization that cannot be handled in house
Objective: Expand data management services as funded research expands on campus.
- Assist in providing outreach metadata services and tool guidance as needed to meet the needs of researchers on campus
- Research the potential of the Open Science Framework as a possible data storage option
Library Goal #4: Re-envision the way we provide space and services for technology tools. Develop, enhance, and sustain a skilled and engaged workforce that can succeed in a changing environment and provide excellent experiences for library users.
Objective: Promote better communication across the libraries via formal and informal gatherings to share information.
- Provide public reporting to UALIB on efforts and progress in Metadata & Digital Services
- Provide an annual open house within the library, to inform attendees about what we do and why it's important.
Objective: Provide professional development and training opportunities to improve skill sets of library employees.
- Continue to share information cross-departmentally via Workshop Wednesdays
- Continue regular training and cross-training within Metadata & Digital Services
Library Goal #5: Support a diverse and inclusive environment by providing resources, services, and spaces that promote the varied needs of the faculty, staff, and student body.
Objective: Curate exhibits/programs/events that are of interest to a broader community.
- Develop blog posts and promotional pages for content of interest to the broader community