Proposed Topics for Research
1) Research the best formats for digital preservation, and document why, as well as methods for migration available.
2) Research methods of migrating older digital documents such as Word and PDF to newer, more migratable formats. Include study of migration to, and creation of, PDF/A-1a.
3) Research existing and emerging open source IR (Institutional Repository) software: support required, usability offered, and detail pros and cons. Include study of support for E-research data.
4) Research existing and emerging open source digital library delivery systems: support required, usability offered, and detail pros and cons.
5) Investigate the practicality and procedures for migrating PDF materials to PDF/A versus to XML with TIFFs. Compare and contrast the two processes and loss of data and functionality.
6) Explore how best to create METS records for compound digital objects for which metadata and digital files already exist. Document findings and develop a tutorial which includes recommended best practices.
7) Research extraction/creation/storage of digital preservation metadata for various formats.