Discoveries and Challenges
This page documents some of the hurdles faced during the Cabaniss mass digitization project.
In January we discovered that the TIFFS created by using the software that comes with the Captureback overhead scanner contain two tiffs instead of one. One is a thumbnail, and one is the full-size master image. Unfortunately, Image Magick by default creates a jpeg from both tiffs. It concatenates a "-0" to one of the filenames and a "-1" to the other. The files ending in "-1" were created from the thumbnail, so they are blurry. We developed an additional script (called "repair") which hunts through directories, seeking out the files thus named, deleting the ones ending in "-1.jpg" and renaming the ones ending in "-0.jpg" to remove the "-0" addition. Here's the perl script: File:RepairJpegs.txt
In August, we unexpectedly lost both our students and had to advertise, interview, hire, and train new ones.
In September, while preparing the final boxes for digitization, Amanda discovered a large folder labeled “Miscellaneous Documents” that was not on the EAD finding aid. She brought it to Donnelly, who analyzed the contents and determined their correct locations. We decided that since the destination folders had already been digitized, these items would be added to the end of the list, regardless of their correct position in the folder. To reorder the existing digitized material and rename all the other files in each folder would have been counterproductive.