Papers, books, and photographs belonging to Mabel Smythe-Haith, former ambassador to Cameroon and Equatorial Guinea, concerning academics, diplomacy, and civil rights.
Scrapbook, journals and autograph books of three generations of women in the Snow and Hogan families of Tuscaloosa, Alabama during the late 19th and early 20th centuries: Abby Hazard Snow; daughter, Caroline Snow Hogan; Caroline's sister-in-law, Mary S. Hogan; and Abby's granddaughters, Abby and Mazie Hogan.
This letter contains traveling arrangements and plans for a visit to New York City between friends H. Snow of New York City and Armam Levassar in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Records of the Society of Colonial Wars in the State of Alabama for 1966-1969.
The collection contains 359 United States Land Office certificates of title for soldiers, their heirs, and assignees, dated from 1848 to 1881 and arranged alphabetically by the last name of the soldier. The land grants (generally 40 acres) were given in token of military service during the Creek, Cherokee, and Seminole Indian Wars, the Mexican War, the Florida War, and the War of 1812 or in recognition of volunteer service in a state militia.
Letters of this Chicago, Illinois, based company to their agents in Montgomery, Alabama, concerning land development projects in southern Alabama in the late nineteenth century.
This collection consists of 21 one-inch binders of cartes de visite portraits, small card photographs from the second half of the nineteenth century. A range of Southern studios are represented.
The collection consists of documents generated or received by The Southern Courier, 1965-1969.
Genealogy research materials pertaining to Southern families and locations, digitized from private holdings. The collection currently contains a book of records from two cemeteries in Mobile, Alabama.
The by-laws (with amendments) and minutes of regular and special called meetings of the Southside Baptist Church of Tuscalooas, Alabama, from 1961 through 1995.
The Souvenir Postcard is blank on one side while the other features a black and white photo of a young man encircled by painted symbols of patriotism and learning.
Certificates from Sowell as Alabama's State Auditor, granting the American Surety Company of New York the authority to become sureties on the official bonds of State, County, and Municipal officers, etc.
A letter from J. Pinnell of Danville, Virginia, to Thomas Carter of Virginia about cotton sales and requesting information about a possible smallpox outbreak.
Letters from Dr. Edmund D. Spear Jr. of Boston, Massachusetts, to Millie Peterson and her mother, Mrs. A.R. Peterson, also of Boston, between 1880 and 1882, telling them of his affection for Millie. Also included in the collection are several newspaper clippings and poems, some regarding love and relationships.
A draft and a copy of a letter from Norene Speckman of Cincinnati, Ohio, to Mr. D.W. Jordan of the Missouri Pacific Railway Company. Speckman describes her experience riding on the overcrowded Colorado Eagle train.
Letters between Sperry and Willards and from family members and acquaintances. Letters discuss money, society, health issues, and everyday life. The Sperry and Willard families, of Ohio, were connected by marriage through Mary Sperry Willard.
Letter from Melissa Sprague, written on 5 March 1867, to her daughter, Julia, discussing family issues and problems. The second letter, written on the back of the first, to Julia and George (presumably her husband) from her father, J. Sprague, describes how wet and muddy the weather and roads have been.
Letter from a Christian minister (possibly Lutheran) in Jonesboro, Illinois, to his friend George Schramm in Farmington, Iowa. The letter discusses a growing church membership in his area. He also discusses at length national politics, U.S. Army deserters during the Civil War, and former slaves in the South, saying, "God pity the poor negro."
Letters to Joe R.P.S. Sprigg between 1902 and 1911 from various family members and friends..
St. John's Episcopal Church, Montgomery , Alabama. St. John's Parish was organized in 1834, and the first church was built in 1837. The current building was erected in 1855. The earliest extant records date to 1848. Included are memberships, marriages, baptisms, confirmations, deaths, funerals, and other records.