The University of Alabama
Services for Users With Disabilities
Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Research Assistance

Users interested in receiving research assistance may contact the subject specialist for their class, major or program. Alternatively, for general research assistance, users may contact the instruction librarian in the appropriate library.

General Reference Requests

General reference requests usually can be accommodated at the reference desks in each library without prior arrangement.

Electronic Reference

Library users may use Ask-A-Librarian to send a question electronically.

Retrieving Materials

At Gorgas Library, staff at the Circulation Desk (second floor) will retrieve books and journals from the stacks for users in need of this accommodation. Staff at the Information Desk (first floor) also can assist patrons with retrieving materials, when staffing permits. To ensure prompt service, it's best to call ahead. The Circulation Desk may be reached at (205) 348-9748.  The Information Desk may be reached at (205) 348-6047.

At the Music Library (Gorgas Library, first floor), staff will be happy to retrieve materials from the music collection for users.  The music collection uses movable shelving, which can be difficult to navigate in a wheelchair.

Users may request assistance with retrieving materials at the circulation or reference desks in Bruno Business Library, McLure Education Library, Rodgers Science & Engineering Library, and Hoole Special Collections Library.

Scanning and Photocopying

Scanning and photocopying assistance is available at each library as time permits. Library users are encouraged to contact the staff at the appropriate library in advance for this service. Click here for the telephone number for each of these libraries.

Library Instruction

Specialized library orientation tours and instruction can be arranged through the instruction librarian in the appropriate library.

Return to Information for Users with Disabilities